Calling all lighting experts. Problem.

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Ok I have an Outer Orbit MH / T5 HO unit with the ballasts built in the unit which stands on legs. 2 x 150 MH DE and 4 x 39W Actinic T5 HO. The halides come on in the morning and run until the early evening. I then go to cut on the actinics and one set and sometimes both sets of T5's blinks on and off. One will normally then light as normal after 3-4 minutes but the other one will blink on and off for 20-30 minutes and then light. I have noticed that if I turn the actinics on first thing in the morning before the halides come on they fire right up. What is going on here?

Thanks, Darren

Yes Jin I thought at first that it was a "not seated correctly" issue but I have checked and it is plugged in securely.

Is it a steady blinking or a flicker? Did you check the ends of the bulbs for corrosion? I know some ballasts will flash the lights when they detect a bad bulb or bad connection. If that looks good, have you checked the ventilation through the fixture? Is it possible the ballast is overheating?

I did take the unit down and re-insert the bulbs. No corrosion as the light is not even a year old. The ventilation seems fine. It flickers, blinks, will go out for a minute, and then when it comes on it stays on.

Wow, sounds like a ballast problem to me. Almost like it is creating a surge start like in an old florscent ballast. I am no lighting expert though.

I have a similar problem with an older T5 fixture I have on my frag tanks. The ligths fire up fine first thing in the morning but after heating up, they will not come back on until the ballast cools and will flicker until cool enough to kick in. I am assuming it's the ballast that needs to be replaced but I haven't tried fixing it yet since I am probably replacing the light shortly anyway.
Bob

If you swap the lamps all around and the symptom still occurs in the same "slot" it is a ballast and/or wiring issue. If it it is still under warranty you should be able to get a new ballast. Current USA does warranty service primarly through their dealers so contact your dealer if you still have warranty time.

If your out of warranty I may be able to help with repairs for a few frags. :D

As Sammy stated, check to make sure that the wires are seated properly in the endcap. A loose wire can cause the symptoms you are describing.

Back