Calling on the Goni God’s

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Hello everyone today I am asking what things I can do if my coral don’t open. So for about two weeks my Goniopora colony has been reluctant to open but did great in its current spot for two weeks prior. Every other coral is doing great and fully open. I currently have my lights set to the AB+ setting and running at 50% intensity on a 12hr photo period. I have one Mp40 set to reef crest and also set to AB+ which I know is for SPS but I was under the impression that Goniopora like flow and light. Because my other corals seem to like my current layout should I move the Goni? My perameters are as follows PH 7.9 PO4 0.49 CAL 435 ALK 8.9 Ammonia 0 nitrates unknown as I need a new set

I currently have my lights set to the AB+ setting and running at 50% intensity on a 12hr photo period. I have one Mp40 set to reef crest and also set to AB+ which I know is for SPS but I was under the impression that Goniopora like flow and light. Because my other corals seem to like my current layout should I move the Goni?
I think you've got that a little mixed up. Maybe not so much on the light part but Goni's like a lower more gentle flow. They normally don't like high intensity light but can become accustom to it.
Try moving it to a spot near or on the bottom that has lower flow and less light, but the lower flow is the most important. A spot next to a rock where the powerhead is on the opposite side is a perfect place to try. If that doesn't work try lower the power on the PH.

Was it a wild colony?
In my experience - this is the make or break time for your goni. If it opens back up it should be good forever but if not, its done.
Most of the frags I get from other hobbyists don't do this - its only the ones from LFSs or recently cut wild colonies. The longest I've had one stay closed was about 10 days and it finally open back up.
If I had to guess, its not lighting or flow - its just something the goni is adjusting to internally.

Also they do seem to do a lot better when target fed. My other theory is that they have been likely starving all the while and finally pucker up in critical mode and sometimes make it out.

Your phosphates are high, I noticed my goni not opening if po4 is more than .1

I think you've got that a little mixed up. Maybe not so much on the light part but Goni's like a lower more gentle flow. They normally don't like high intensity light but can become accustom to it.
Try moving it to a spot near or on the bottom that has lower flow and less light, but the lower flow is the most important. A spot next to a rock where the powerhead is on the opposite side is a perfect place to try. If that doesn't work try lower the power on the PH.
I’ve noticed with my small frag that it does appreciate some flow but I do feel that lighting could be the issue my rock work is moderate at best but it is at the highest point. It was up pretty high in the tank that I purchased it from

Was it a wild colony?
In my experience - this is the make or break time for your goni. If it opens back up it should be good forever but if not, its done.
Most of the frags I get from other hobbyists don't do this - its only the ones from LFSs or recently cut wild colonies. The longest I've had one stay closed was about 10 days and it finally open back up.
If I had to guess, its not lighting or flow - its just something the goni is adjusting to internally.

Also they do seem to do a lot better when target fed. My other theory is that they have been likely starving all the while and finally pucker up in critical mode and sometimes make it out.
I’m not sure if it is a wild colony and it was purchased from a DT in a LFS

Back