Camel Shrimp

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
Soo.... I bought a "peppermint" shrimp from Cap bay...

It's actually a camel shrimp, but its loose in my aquarium. Anyone have ideas on how to remove it?

Thx

Seriously, you can rent a trap from Fishy or I have a small one you can borrow. It may take some time, but if you watch long enough and have the right food in there he will eventually go in and you can slam the door shut on him.

Take a cube of frozen food and "hand feed" him. Give him a day or two and he will most likely stat to come to you, when he does slowly try to net him. Worked for me to catch mine when I had to get him out.

Use the inverted bottle method. Cut off the top of a water bottle. Take the top and put it on the bottom inverted. Put some food in it. If you do this at night good chance the shrimp will be in the next morning. If you need further explanation PM me.
Good luck!
Sally

Thanks all. All very good suggestions, I'm sure each one would work if I had the time for it :p. This morning, I saw it tearing into my wife's favorite coral, a simple lil long tentacle plate anemone. She always check's on it everyday though and affectionately calls it "her anemone." Well the shrimp was tearing it up so I went after it with a vengeance. I tore down my rockwork to get at it, and finally caught it...

I'm taking this lil devil back to cap bay... but I was tempted to chop it up and feed it to my anemones :p.

Glad you got it out. I ended up doing a very similar "trick" getting my black crab of death out. Sometimes brute force is the best way.

Yah, I hate tearing up my rockwork as it NEVER goes back the exact same as it was. Especially in my case since the rock is all balanced on thin acrylic rods. Anyways, this was an aggravating morning :(. I'm thinking of donating him to a mantis tank... I just want to watch!

HAHA!!! Reading this thread was the same I had when I decided to remove my pistol shrimp after it killed a peppermint shrimp I put in after only 5 minutes.

And again a half black angel that was nipping at my daisy pollups.

And the yellow hawaiian tang I removed after it killed a coral beauty and a copperband butterfly fish.

**** I have some bad luck and bad information from LFS's.

Gotta love the service at cap bay :). They were kind enough to send me a PM about the shrimp before I even called them. Needless to say he's going back without any issues.

Back