Can a Co2 tank lay on its side????

william1

Market
Reaction score
Just wondering about this....... Can I lay my Co2 tank on its side in the stand or do they have to be right side up???

You just asked whether you can...

CO2 is a liquid in your bottle due to the pressure, once you lay it down the liquid will pass through your valve and not only the gas - like you would want...

Robb

Good explanation. This is also why you always see them upright in trucks.

William, I just checked out your website. You say your tank is 48x29x24? That's more like 144 gallons than 90! :)

Yeah, you really shouldnt lay it on its side, as the liquid will feed into the reg, and if you have ever shot a paintball gun, you know that CO2 gets really cold when it sublimates. That is also why you would not want a CO2 tank with a dip tube, but most do not have them unless you request it I dont think (PB guys would request this).

Now, I do believe it would be fine if you layed it at an angle, where the liquid would not reach the reg, and had 'air space' to act as an expansion chamber and allow the liquid to become gas. The other option is an inline expansion chamber, but I'm sure that is not what you want to deal with.

Derek_S;313394 wrote: Now, I do believe it would be fine if you layed it at an angle, where the liquid would not reach the reg, and had 'air space' to act as an expansion chamber and allow the liquid to become gas. The other option is an inline expansion chamber, but I'm sure that is not what you want to deal with.

To repeat, you don't want liquid CO2 coming out the reg.

But as D says you can lay them on an angle. I did this for years with 20# tanks in my freshwater setups when the tank was too tall for the stand to sit upright.

You can make a cheap PVC cradle to hold the tank at an angle. That is what I did. Just make sure the reg and outlet from the tank are pointing up.
Dave

Back