Can a fish die from old age?

fishdude

Market
Reaction score
I've got a yellow watchmen goby who I've had for just over ten years and he's not doing very well. We moved tanks a week ago and he hasn't eaten since the move. Is it possible he is just to old?
-Nick

Nothing simply dies of old age. Death is caused by complications and the body loses the ability to keep up with those complications. Science teaches that we are never living, just slowly dieing. Kinda depressing actually.

leveldrummer;944586 wrote: Who invited buzz killington to the party?

I apologize, science is not always the happy-go-lucky place that I imagined when I was growing up. On a happy note every life is a miracle. If you think about all the bad things that can go wrong in a lifetime. Especially fish that are caught from the ocean on the other side of the planet!

leveldrummer;944586 wrote: Who invited buzz killington to the party?

Debbie_Downer.jpg
alt="" />

Akopley;944570 wrote: i have always heard that with no natural predators, age isn't a factor for fish and they live for eternity.

I heard the same. All of my fish committed suicide. Fact. :lol2:

Akopley;944570 wrote: i have always heard that with no natural predators, age isn't a factor for fish and they live for eternity.

Yep, the "i" in "fish" stands for infinity, referring to their lifespan.

I believe that I've read where their cells do not age the same ways our do over time. I'll have to see if I can find the article or textbook I read that in if I'm remembering it correctly.

I have a friend who is an ichthyologist (sp?) and I just sent him a message seeing what he knew.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">
MassiveDynamic;944686 wrote: 10 years wow? They average around 5 so i'd say he's had a pretty **** good run.
</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Yep, He's been good ol' fish from Louisville, KY. He's been through 3 moves and even lived in a frat house for a short stint. He's my second oldest and I'll be sad to see him go.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">-Nick</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px"> </span></span>

Back