Can Anyone Help with High Nitrates?

gmanjeep

Market
Reaction score
Hi, I am having a problem with High Nitrates in my reef.The system has been set up for almost 2 years and no problem until now.I Have a 125 gallon tank and just did a 40 gallon water change last weekend, and today my nitrates are at 40 ppm. I checked my RO water because my filters are due to be changed, but it showed less than 5 ppm. I have about 10 fish, couple of shrimp ect ect and only feed once a day either a pinch of flake food or a couple small cubes of frozen brine along with a dose of Marine snow. I have a very large colony of bright green zoas that have not been open now for about 3 weeks, although they do not appear to be dying, but I am concerned.I plan on doing another water change again this weekend and I guess I could try and cut back some more on the food, But is there anything else that can be done? Everything else tests pretty normal. Thanks!!

I am a running an Octopus 200 Protein Skimmer in my Fuge. The fuge has about a 6 inch sand bed on the bottom.The tank itself has about 3-4 inches.I have about 100-150 lbs of live rock in the tank,and another 40-50 lbs in the fuge that the water constantly rushs over. I am also running an aquaclear hanging filter in my fuge just to keep the water crystal clear.I only run the carbon filter in that.I also have some calerpa in the fuge. No snails or crabs in the fuge though, cause I am afraid they will find a way over the wall & get sucked into my pump.

I would bet that the DSB in the display tank is the main contributing factor here. Not deep enough to be truly effective as a DSB and too deep to be easily cleaned like a SSB.

I have quite a large Sand sifter that keeps the DSB turned over quite frequently, although I never vacuum the bed when I do a water change.I didn't know if that disturbs the bacteria bed or not.Should I be cleaning it manually?

Yes. Just clean a different half of the tank at each water change.

Back