can anyone identify this?

fullerjames

Supporting
Reaction score
not sure if it is a nudibranch or what?
can anyone tell me what it is and is it reef safe?
Thanks
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

found 3 so far and pulled them out.
I'm afraid they may be soft coral predators but not sure.
I agree when in doubt.
Thanks,

They generally look like what they eat. Your probably right about it being a soft coral predator. Hope you got them all.

Post a pic in invertabrate section of reef central forum. They will usually give you positive id pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill them with fire.

They are coral munchers, they look somewhat like the leather-eaters that I've encountered. If you don't have any leathers, check your Zoanthids if you have them.

They will destroy whatever coral they are specific to eating.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn,
I have removed half a dozen or so, most of them small size about 1/4" - 1/2" .
I have a finger leather and toadstool leather, they look ok, I also have zoanthids that look ok.
I lost a colt coral over the last few weeks so I am guessing they ate that. Never lost a colt in all my years but that would explain it. I will keep an eye out for more and remove them if I find any.
Thanks all for the help.

That makes sense. If they only eat Colts, and yours is gone, they are on the move looking for another. Keep removing any you find.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Found another big one&gt;
got a better pic.
see attached
thx
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Looks kind of like the colt coral that it probably ate, yes?

Those coral munchers usually look a lot like what they eat. If you have leathers, keep a close eye on them - sometimes they get eaten from the inside out, or an innocent looking bad spot suddenly becomes a gaping hole.

Remove them all. If possible, you might want to give all your soft corals a freshwater swirly - they'll drop off fast.

Jenn

Yes it looks exactly like the colt coral, that's weird.
I will keep a close eye on the leather I have.
Do you know of any reef safe predators that will eat these coral killers?

Thanks

No. They eat toxic corals and in turn, they are pretty noxious.

Manual removal is your best bet.

It's actually ingenious of Mother Nature to make them look exactly like their prey :)

Jenn

Back