Can chalice damage each other with sweepers

tbub1221

Reaction score
I have several chalice of different species atleast 5 echino one I believe to be oxypora one robokaki and 2 that could both be mycidium or idk its really hard to tell especially with little pieces
My question is will they hurt one another , I believe the echino are safe around each other but can they hurt the others.
Its typically only my larger echinos that go full medusa about 1-4am
I've always kept 3+" in between them all as precautionary but recently I was at a sponsor store looking at 6or 7 chalice frags all in a row in egg crate with less than 1l/2" in between them all.
I asked the proprietor if he ever had issues with them stinging one another but he said no its never been an issue , so its got me wondering I looked at some tank pics of chalice collections and saw some rather close I cant imagine something not getting stung .

I would think any chalice of a different variety would sing the other. I believe mine have in the past but I could be wrong!

Thanks for the replies , that's how I always understand it as well , its just puzzling to see lfs with different species so close , but only my larger pieces seem to have long sweepers I almost never see any from a few species and there only a centimeter or so long but no small frags ever make them even when I feed .
I'll be sure to continue giving those dangerous ones a wide berth

Yes. I had a chalice eat a very expensive aussie acan colony once. I was not happy about that development.

Skriz;1030280 wrote: Yes. I had a chalice eat a very expensive aussie acan colony once. I was not happy about that development.
How cool is that to wake up and find , I lost 5heads of a 6 color rainbow acan lord I got back at the coral farmers market show last year to my frog spawn recently .
Smh lps and I have this love hate relationship I love how they look but hate the aggression , I've begun running carbon again , it helps some I think with chemical warfare.

Yep, they sure can. The one that is downstream is the one that usually gets a hurt put on it.

They don't have to physically touch either, they can put out a chemical whammy and sting one another.

Jenn

Tbub1221;1030296 wrote: How cool is that to wake up and find , I lost 5heads of a 6 color rainbow acan lord I got back at the coral farmers market show last year to my frog spawn recently .
Smh lps and I have this love hate relationship I love how they look but hate the aggression , I've begun running carbon again , it helps some I think with chemical warfare.

Yep!

Worst part of it was I had a sale pending on the chalice. But now the chalice was worth an extra $1k due to its last meal.

But, LPS does provide that awesome colour and movement.

Back