Can I borrow a generator?

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
There is a local power outage now in my area. Does anyone have a generator I could borrow?

Thanks Bobby! I’ll be in touch.

For everyone else, a non-reefing friend just told me to check the Georgia Power website. I had never done this before, but when I did, I noticed a “Report a Power Outage” button.

I typed my phone number for my account, selected my address. Low and behold...

F24602C8-19A3-489D-93DC-59B6EDE67742.png

Now I am not as worried. I will give it an hour of observation before resorting to a generator. Meanwhile, I have 4 battery operated air pumps going... and I’ll manually circulate water every 15 minutes or so.

Thanks Bobby! I’ll be in touch.

For everyone else, a non-reefing friend just told me to check the Georgia Power website. I had never done this before, but when I did, I noticed a “Report a Power Outage” button.

I typed my phone number for my account, selected my address. Low and behold...

View attachment 19358

Now I am not as worried. I will give it an hour of observation before resorting to a generator. Meanwhile, I have 4 battery operated air pumps going... and I’ll manually circulate water every 15 minutes or so.
I highly recommend signing up for outage notifications if you are a GA Power customer. I work for GA Power and this is one of my group's main duties. We link customers to their associated equipment. You are notified automatically if your power is out and you are given updates on the outage. It helps especially if you aren't home at the time of an outage.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Power is back on, all is good. Thank you Bobby for lending me your generator! Now I gotta find my own, for the next time something like this happens.

Timeframe:
  1. Til 3am -Stayed up late playing boardgames with my friends @Suescuno and their newborn baby.
  2. Power shut off around 7:00am. Fast asleep.
  3. 9am -Woke up, and discovered power was out
  4. Immediately installed 4 battery powered air pumps, manually churned up the water a bit, and checked the temps ~75*F
  5. 10am -Discovered Georgia Power estimate that power would be back in by 11am, and decided to wait.
  6. 11:10am -Still no power, so I drove to Bobby’s (Thanks @bhodges82) to borrow the generator
  7. 11:45 -Arrived back at home. Temp was 73.3*F. Set up generator
  8. 12:45 -Temp was up to 74.9*F. Multiple spare heaters . Plus I had my gyre circulating water.
  9. 1:45pm -Power came back on
  10. Time to clean up

Thank you everyone

Glad it helped someone, I hope I never actually need it for my tank.

Right!

It also got me thinking: These generators are great for powering many home appliances during power outages. But maybe 4-5,000 watts is overkill if I wanted a dedicated generator just for a tank. If so, perhaps a smaller generator could use significantly less fuel... and therefore, last longer in the event of a long-term power loss.

So maybe, I want to get 1 personal generator for now... but when I have more space, get a second one also.

I went with a 7500 watt . It runs the tank, internet ,router , TV's ,you know the essentials.

Also have a back up battery just on the main pump and small heater . It lasts a little while ,good for short outage's and what not .

Also....I have a 1500watt invertor with a 100' drop cord I can hook up to the truck .

Redundancy is key

Back