Can I cure live rock in my garage

mfin77

Reaction score
I'm curing live rock in a brute container, do you think it's too hot to cure it in the garage. Just thinking also if there would be temperature swings that would slow the process. I'm gong to have a heater in there keeping it at 80 degrees. Just don't know if it gets really hot on some days the water may go to 82-84 on hot days.

I wouldn't hesitate to cure in the garage. I may not completely trust a cycle with temp that high but definitely just a cure. Although, I used to keep my FW tanks at 88*.

The rock is being cycled as well. I could put it in the basement but trying to find out if someone has experience with this. Would be easier in the garage. Thx for the response

Well you can't cure (if you're doing in just SW) without a cycle starting unless your rock is perfectly clean and then you don't need to cure it. So no doubt, curing the rock will start a cycle. I said I don't know that I would completely trust the cycle, as in moving established bacteria from your cure bucket in the garage in to the a 78* aquarium. Most wouldn't suggest completely trusting a cycle as a result of curing in the first place either though.

my 400g sps reef is in my garage and I don't have a problem.there's no ac/heat.i think you will be fine.

Back