Can I get an ID on these plz?

mattyams

Market
Reaction score
:sad:These came on some live rock that I purchased from a guy yesterday. They probably won't live cause the water is still cycling but I'd still like to know what these are. Thanks a bunch!
2013-01-07164442_zps3cac7f74.jpg
alt="" />
2013-01-07164509_zps33f42642.jpg
alt="" />
2013-01-07164547_zpsebf0c23c.jpg
alt="" />
2013-01-07164535_zps87fbdc7d.jpg
alt="" />

Red one is a Discosoma sp. Green ones are Rhodactis sp. Looks like a tiny piece of Sarcophyton (Toadstool leather) on there too.

You might be surprised - they'll probably make it.

Jenn

But you can bet the bubble algae and all the other pests will definitely make it.

JennM;826421 wrote: Red one is a Discosoma sp. Green ones are Rhodactis sp. Looks like a tiny piece of Sarcophyton (Toadstool leather) on there too.

You might be surprised - they'll probably make it.

Jenn

I agree with Jenn as usual. LOL

The water isn't what needs to cycle. It is the rock and sand. By "cycle" we mean the live bacteria has started to cycle the ammonia and nitrate. Therefore if you have rock that has corals growing on it it also has bacteria. At least enough to support the corals in my mind. :)

jamescook;826429 wrote: But you can bet the bubble algae and all the other pests will definitely make it.

Omg, I cannot agree with James more. Save your tank while you still can! Get that bubble algae out.

if anybody wants some like the green ones in pic #1 i have plenty :doh:

Now that I zoomed in I see it. LOL.

I agree nuke it now. Take a bucket of tank water and put the rock in. Gently try to pull them off with tweezers trying not to pop them. Scrub those areas with a tooth brush after the bibles are removed. Next, rinse well in another bucket of clean tank water. Last, pray to the aquarium Gods that you got it all. LOL

Seriously, nip it in the bud now but it isn't the end of the world. If it starts to come back you can add an emerald crab (cool addition in my mind) and it will most likely keep it in control.

After the "bubbles" are removed. I would never advocate removing the "Bibles". (Would that have been a Freudian Slip?)

Ripped Tide;826474 wrote: Omg, I cannot agree with James more. Save your tank while you still can! Get that bubble algae out.

Yup get the tweezers out immediately.

Guess I know what I am doing tomorrow. Thank you guys so much for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

jamescook;826429 wrote: But you can bet the bubble algae and all the other pests will definitely make it.

What pests are you talking about?

I didn't notice the bubble algae either - was busy looking a the mushrooms...

Yep, scrub those puppies off...

If you want to see what happens when you don't remove bubble algae, you are welcome to come check it out. I'll be breaking down my tank and re-doing it because of the bible algae infestation.

Rich, I like that term "bible algae". No matter how hard I try to rid myself of it, it keeps coming back!!! Kidding of course.

Bubble algae is a PITA!!! It's next to impossible to remove with out creating more. I have 15 emeralds, low po4, low no3, and it still invading everything

I agree Dylan that once it takes hold you are in for a long haul. But with only the one rock populated I believe he can get most if not all pretty easy. Than, if a little comes back an emerald could wipe it out. From my little bit of experience it appears to me that a larger crab will go after it but the smaller ones wont.

I had a small amount pop up in my first tank. Added one large and two small crabs. The big one did a great job but the little ones didn't earn their keep. :). But I kept them anyway. Hehehehe

rdnelson99;826613 wrote: I agree Dylan that once it takes hold you are in for a long haul. But with only the one rock populated I believe he can get most if not all pretty easy. Than, if a little comes back an emerald could wipe it out. From my little bit of experience it appears to me that a larger crab will go after it but the smaller ones wont.

I had a small amount pop up in my first tank. Added one large and two small crabs. The big one did a great job but the little ones didn't earn their keep. :). But I kept them anyway. Hehehehe

I was able to get most if not all the bubble algae off that one rock. That was not fun.

mattyams;826647 wrote: I was able to get most if not all the bubble algae off that one rock. That was not fun.

LOL. But would have been less fun later. :). Now just keep a close eye out to be sure it doesn't come back.

Back