Can I move a tank this way?

matlet

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi,

Like the recent post from Project1004, I want to move the 75 gallon tank in my office across the room to the other side (to make room for a bigger desk). I am planning to remove the fishies out and most of my live rock into tubs along with most of the water. However, since my office has hardwood floors, I was wondering if I could use those furniture sliders that you put under heavy furniture so that you can slide it across floors and rugs? I figure this would be better than lifting the tank and possibly flexing it to pop a seal. The tank is a very old Oceanic tank with thick glass.

Does this sound reasonable?

My other option under consideration is to buy a new or used tank. However, most tanks today have a lot thinner glass.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey mark,

I would definitely do that if its hardwood floor. Anything can scratch hardwood.
Trickier part is getting it leveled once it's in new location. I am planing on leaving all my live stock in the tank in the move. Mine is laminated floor, so I slide it without much troble. I am however concern with getting it leveled. I noticed it levels better once water is filled sometimes. Figers cross... Good luck~~~

If those are the ones with the plastic bottom they are for carpet, they will scratch hardwood.
The felt pads will slide on hard wood and not scratch.
Good luck with the move.

Another way of moving/sliding a tank across hardwoods is to get a piece of carpet, any kind really, and turn it upside down on the floor, so the soft part is against the hardwood and the bottom faces up. Slide it under the tank, and it should slide easily that way as well. You could also do 4 smaller pieces, one for each corner, or two pieces, one for each side, etc. The weight of the tank holds it in place.

Back