Can I replace a 15Amp breaker with a 20...

cjsparky

Market
Reaction score
Replace a 15 Amp breaker with a 20 Amp GFCI breaker without burning down my house? House is 6 years old if that matters. I am getting tired of using my printer and having my whole tank electric shut down if the heater and lights are running...lol

CJ

it will depend on the wiring in the house... if the wiring is 12ga then yes... but if the wiring is 14ga (probably 14ga on a 15A circuit) then no...

so yes, you can do it... but yes, you could burn your house down...
(the wire isn't thick enough to carry the current, overheats, possibly causes a fire... )

if you can pull the outlets on that circuit and see that they are all wired with 12 ga wire, then you're good to go...

if most of the outlets are wired 12 but some are wired 14 (unlikely, but possible) then the answer is no..

check out my build thread (signature link) I added a subpanel at my aquarium.. an electrician could do it relatively cheap if your main panel or disconnect/meter is close to where your tank is..

i think its bottom of the 2nd page..

Rbredding;463208 wrote: check out my build thread (signature link) I added a subpanel at my aquarium.. an electrician could do it relatively cheap if your main panel or disconnect/meter is close to where your tank is..

i think its bottom of the 2nd page..

Main house panel is 2 floors down in the garage...However, the main electrical entrance point is 2 floors down on the outside of the house. I wonder what the cost would be to branch a subpanel run in a chase on the side of the house to this floor, and then bringing it inside. In all actuality, I will probably just move the printer to another circuit. Its wireless after all.

CJ

That's most likely your best bet. An electrician is going to hammer you for wiring a subpanel and the materials aren't going to be cheap either.

When my cousin and I were wiring my basement, I used all 12ga wire and ran a sub panel. The materials for the sub panel, which is only a 30 ft. run from the main, cost me nearly $300... most of which was the wire. That didn't include all the breakers and 12ga wire, which I had already bought.

Cjsparky;463230 wrote: Main house panel is 2 floors down in the garage...However, the main electrical entrance point is 2 floors down on the outside of the house. I wonder what the cost would be to branch a subpanel run in a chase on the side of the house to this floor, and then bringing it inside. In all actuality, I will probably just move the printer to another circuit. Its wireless after all.

CJ

Talk to Jason (rockdog) he did some work for ma and others and did a great job.

Cjsparky;463230 wrote: Main house panel is 2 floors down in the garage...However, the main electrical entrance point is 2 floors down on the outside of the house. I wonder what the cost would be to branch a subpanel run in a chase on the side of the house to this floor, and then bringing it inside. In all actuality, I will probably just move the printer to another circuit. Its wireless after all.

CJ

Not cheap! Moving the printer would be the best bet.:D

Back