Can I use a 250 watt grow light?

fishboy

Reaction score
I have a 29 biocube and am looking to upgrade lighting. I would like to eventually upgrade to a larger tank, so i want to get a light that could be used for that as well. Not sure yet what size tank I want to upgrade to. Anyways, I was wandering if I could use a 250 watt metal halide grow light for a reef tank?
Thanks

I figured the spectrum would be different, but I wasn't sure if I could buy another bulb in the right spectrum. I was also wandering about the heat difference between a grow light and a light made for a reef.

I looked into these briefly and found that they were not recommended for marine aquariums due to potential fire hazards. They're not built to take any abuse in a salt infested environment. Don't go cheap on your lights, you'll regret it :).

If you're looking for CHEAP and considering a grow bulb, why don't you post for someone's used MH bulb? I am sure most would just give them to you since they'll be more than likely trashing them anyway. (worst case, they sell it really really cheap). Even after a years use, it will be much better than an incorrect bulb!

Back