Can i use this as a media reactor???

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
I have had this thing for over a year. (Eheim 2217)
It came with the tank I bought. Never even plugged it in. Actually tried to sell it a couple of times here in the drygoods forum... but no takers.

So now I am shopping for a carbon reactor and DIY threads to maybe build one and then I remembered I had this thing.

Anyone familiar with these?
Would this serve as a Carbon or a GFO reactor? Or even both?

My total system is about 250 gallons..so I would need something large enough to handle the media.

Assuming it works, its really clean. I would only have to get some hoses.

376931857_y7jB5-L.jpg
alt="" />

I would think carbon yes, definitely, gfo, IDK. GFO needs to tumble just slightly so the media doesn't get compacted, and generally an upflow is better (don't know how that filter works), and you need to be able to fine tune the flow to just the right amount, so it's best to be able to see the media.

You could always use it for water polishing, put in some filter floss and some charcoal and it should work great.

Thanks.
From what I have read it is an "upflow" canister.

I opened it up and the bottom layer is filled with like ceramic noodles. Then a filter pad separates the noodles from what looks like gravel. I dunno what it is. Then another pad and then the desired media would go next. (I guess)

But your right...there does not seem to be room for tumbling of GFO.

I would ditch the ceramic noodles and put some LR down there. Then run carbon in the media section.

I don't know if that would work or not, but if you decide not to use it don't forget about the BRS Powerbuy. They have just what you need for carbon and/or GFO.

canisters are media reactors, they just have a pump built in.

If its upflow then you can use it for whatever you want.

You wouldnt be able to use the 2217 for GFO. You have to be able to increase of decrease flow and see how the media reacts in the chamber. You can't do it with that filter becasue you can't see into it. I have three of these sitting in my basement from my FW days. Best cannister filter on the market. Be great for carbon, however. I'd get a large mesh bag for the carbon. Would be a big PIA to manually remove it from the filter when you change it out without a bag.

You could EASILY run five-six times the amount of GAC in a 2217 than you could in one BRS media reactor.

Budsreef;421305 wrote: I don't know if that would work or not, but if you decide not to use it don't forget about the BRS Powerbuy. They have just what you need for carbon and/or GFO.

LOL!
Thats actually what I had in mind. Then started looking around for DIY plans...and remembered I had this thing.:yes:

Acroholic;421346 wrote: You could EASILY run five-six times the amount of GAC in a 2217 than you could in one BRS media reactor.

I have never run carbon like this before. All I have to go by is the calculator on BRS site. Is there any advantage / disadvantage to running more that is required by volume??

I mean...the calculator may suggest 3 cups of media and this canister will clearly hold more.

justindville1987;421430 wrote: What Is a media reactor for and what's it used for?

A reactor is just a vessel or chamber to place carbon or GFO (Granular Ferric oxide) in for water to filter through. To call something a "reactor" actually indicates some type of change occuring to the media. (I think) . I am sure someone will chime in to clarify.

In short, carbon can aid in the removal of disolved organic compounds and get that water sparkling clean. There is some debate about it removing trace elements if over used. It can also reduce odor. (which is my motivation). The wife is paticularly sensitive to smell and I dont want to here it...know what i mean? So I am going to give it a go.

GFO is primarily for the removal of phosphates which cause nuisance algae. GFO needs a reactor to lightly tumble the media to be most effective.

I have no 1st hand knowledge of either...just what I have learned here on the forum.

Do I sound like I know what I am talking about?:D

BASSCYN;421417 wrote: I have never run carbon like this before. All I have to go by is the calculator on BRS site. Is there any advantage / disadvantage to running more that is required by volume??

I mean...the calculator may suggest 3 cups of media and this canister will clearly hold more.

I don't think there is anything bad about running more. I think if you ran more than what you need, you'd just extend the time between changing it out.

The main thing is to make sure the water is forced thru the carbon. If you don't force the water thru the bag, it can channel around the carbon and not get filtered. The internal volume of the 2217 is SO much larger than 3 cups, but you don't want to put any of that eheim filter media in there because that would just get colonized by bacteria and start producting nitrate.

The internal volume of the 2217 is 1.5 gallons, I think. So it probably could hold over 1 gallon of media. That is a LOT of carbon.:eek:

You need a way to eat up some space in the cannister and also make sure the water is forced thru the carbon layer. Maybe put the carbon bag on the bottom and some pieces of PVC pipe on top of it to eat up the excess volume of the cannister and keep the carbon in place? If you don't force the water thru the bag, it can channel around the carbon and not get filtered.
Dave

Acroholic;421545 wrote: You need a way to eat up some space in the cannister and also make sure the water is forced thru the carbon layer. Maybe put the carbon bag on the bottom and some pieces of PVC pipe on top of it to eat up the excess volume of the cannister and keep the carbon in place? If you don't force the water thru the bag, it can channel around the carbon and not get filtered.
Dave

I like the idea of using LR or LR rubble. Maybe separated by some these filter pads.

Back