Can my 210 be salvaged?

saltwaterwannabe

Market
Reaction score
Sad day...I cracked my brand new in wrapper  210 drilling it and landed a few stitches to boot.  I was drilling for a Synergy overflow using the template provided so it is near the top.  The crack extends from the hole to the edge.  Is there any reasonable hope of just siliconing a second piece in the damaged area?  I sketched the opton below.

Tlosfbqw9gew0s55t14ozjjz72otlkjiw.jpg
alt="Screenshot_20180330-221308" />

I've repaired a couple tanks doing a lay over with glass and silicone. cover as much of the cracked section as you can it is always tempting to try and only cover the area the crack is in but that crack can and probably will travel when you add water. Try to get the new piece flat against and all the way to the edges of the piece that is cracked without it being on any seam that might hold it off the original glass make sure new piece is FLAT against the old then thin silicone on edges and let fully cure then silicone again as heavy as you like. laying it with the cracked pane down is the easiest way to do this.. 1/4 plate glass will be more than thick enough since the old glass will be taking a lot of the stress but if you can afford it 1/2 would be better. If the cracks are on the back you also might consider spraying the cracked pane with plasticized automotive undercoating to help hold the old pane in place it will look alright from the front.Also 100% silicone is 100% silicone so don't make yourself crazy looking for aquarium silicone and you might want to have a glass shop drill the holes in your new panel. Good luck
Tom

Thanks for the input!  I am only going with 1/4" so the total width will work with the reef energy overflows I have.  One end of the crack is at the edge and secured by he black frame while the other end is perpendicular to a hole that will be secured by the reef energy overflow bulkhead.  I have not done this before with glass but had planned to spread a thin layer of silicon across the entire contact area with a bead at the edge.  Are you saying I should only silicon the edge?

just be sure it is a level even layer any little variation can cause it to crack when you add the weight of the water and don't over tighten your bulkheads.

Well, so it goes.  Always pay close attention when moving a tank, particularly if it seems too easy.  Moving my 240 across the floor on a cart, I bumped a granite counter top in the kitchen  I plan to repair the chip but it is quite disheartenning.  Brand new tank already has two flaws and has not seen water yet

Dang that sucks.... I'd be sure to water test it outside first too! I resealed my 140 and left water in it outside for a week and banged on the glass some before I brought it inside.

to  be honest, I wouldn't sleep as well at night if I were to have a damaged tank. Even if it is repaired it would always be in the back of my mind. Thats just me though

Yea, Im not excited about the idea.  I will definitely test it in the garage and beat on it a few days.  I may even try to slosh it around a bit

Back