Can someone driil my tank in my home?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have a 140 I just recently set up, and would really like to look into drilling it for a CL (wish I thought of this earlier). It has little livestock in it, so now is the time to drill, more than later. Once it is drained, I should be able to scoot it away from the wall, but the holes will need to be drilled both vertically (as the tank stands) and in my home. Is this a possibility?

Talk to chrisjet I believe he has drilled set up tanks with water in them.

yeah-contact Chrisjet he drilled mine with water in them! I was nervous--and I guess you know to make sure your glass isn't tempered--

Seems to me that the smart play is to go ahead and drain the tank. THat way if it does break you don't have 140 gallons of water on the floor. Just because a tank hasn't broken yet doesn't mean it won't this time.

Yeah, I planned on draining it almost completely. I dont have tons of livestock, so removing it wouldnt be too bad, it's just storing the 140ish gallons of water somewhere while drilling....

BUT, say you drained it, leaving the LR in it, at least to some degree, and scooted it to where you could drill it, is it relatively safe and feasable?

Also, I have corner overflows. Where is the prime location for the holes in this case? Do I need just one drain and 2 outlets? BTW, I plan on running a external rated at 1244GPH for now, maybe a dart in the future.

here's a quote from chrisjet out of a PM he sent me once:
its pretty easy as long as the tank is not tempered, first get the correct sized diamond bit "not a dremel tool," next get a partner with a spray bottle to spray the glass as you drill "water." Put a basin under the drilling surface to catch the water. You can get the bits from ebay 38mm = 3/4 45mm=1" 60mm=1 1.5" - use a moderate speed not super fast and not to slow. Make sure you are one hole size from the edge of the glass. Start off drilling with the bit angled and once you have a nice groove even out the bit while your friend is spraying the glass, angle it to start so you dont "ice skate" on the glass. Oh, obviously you want to drain the water about 4 or 5." Then just put a bulkhead in and put a durso standpipe on the outside.
[glass shards that fall inside turn to dust and most stays on the outside, at the end a little bit gets into the tank but the glass dust just sinks into the sand, like i said not much goes into the tank - nothing to worry about.

One more question, will moving the livestock for the duration of the drill cause much harm? I would likely separate like corals/critters into buckets, and leave many of the smaller boogers in the very bottom of the tank whre a small amount of water would remain

ALSO, the tank is an oceanic, so it has that notoriously thick glass, 1/2" I'm guessing.

I would say if you drain it almost completly and take the pressure off the glass untill you get the bulkhead installed it would make me feel more comfortable. Chrisjet seems to have drilled a few with water in them though and is pretty confident in his method. Still gives me the willys though

I drilled mine on saturday and it was so easy. i have a 45 mm bit for a 1in. bulkhead. I would be more than happy to help you. For beer that is....mmmm beer

Mmmmm....beer.

I'm not sure if a 1" bulkhead is enough or not, though. Well, I guess with 2 drains and 2 outlets it shouldbe....right?....hmmm

you could start out with 2 and if that's not enough flow move up to four. In my opinion with the increased gph in my tank i think 2 1in. bulkheads would handle it. I wonder if there is a gph rating on bulkheads.

If you are draining then no worries. Just go slow and keep the bit wet. Do your best to keep it squared with the glass. When you start to break through the backside slow down and use even less pressure than before so there is less chipping. I also ut a sponge on the inside of the tank in the same spot I was drilling to keep any glass fragments from getting in the tank...not that it matters. The only question I have for you is the same amount of flow you could receive from a Korillia 4 worth the trouble you are going through?

I drained my water just enough to be able to get my drill in and drilled the tank in place.

Scary for about 5 seconds and then smooth sailing.

I used a maxijet with a hose on it to wet the bit and rigged up a little thing to catc the debris. some glass went in but it was finer than the sand.

Oh i was buzzed when I did it :D

Back