Can someone ID this coral please

crayz4life

Reaction score
This was given to me by a friend and I do not know what it is.
The flesh is light brown and florescent green and when the lights are on the surface looks fuzzy.
The biggest part is a little smaller than a dinner plate.

Appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Ray
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
16486=1107-what is this2.jpg
>
16486=1107-what is this2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="what is this2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Not sure why the picture is so small but I have hi-res picture I can email if it will help anyone to ID.

Thank you. With that i went and googled it and I think it may be hydnphora pilosa. It grows in plates but then also has horns that grow up off of the surface.
It is amazing haw much it has grown in the year that i have had it.

just trying to put up a bigger pic
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
16496=1108-what is this2.jpg
>
16496=1108-what is this2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="what is this2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Clicking on the thumbnail will bring up the full-sized picture, and when you upload pictures to the site I believe it automatically resizes them (800 x 600 maybe?) For us to see a larger picture you'd probably have to just give us a link to the pic posted on a site.

Can't get the big picture but it looks like a greem cap..(monitpora)

At first thats what I thought but Monti's do not have the horns that this one does. That is what leads me to believe that it is Hydnophora. I have a really pretty one but it grows insainly slow. Its LIME GREEN. I wish mine was as big as yours!

The coral in the photo is Merulina. I have one that is almost the same and it grows fast and under actinic lighting is quite spectacular. Not hydnophora, not montipora.
Richard

rgzfly- you may be correct. Both genus merulina and hydnophora come from the same family, and are similar. However, since he said it looks very fuzzy, I assume the polyps are quite visible- a characteristic of hydnophora, but usually not of merulina. No real way to tell without examining the skeleton, but my vote is still hydnophora.

jmaneyapanda wrote: rgzfly- you may be correct. Both genus merulina and hydnophora come from the same family, and are similar. However, since he said it looks very fuzzy, I assume the polyps are quite visible- a characteristic of hydnophora, but usually not of merulina. No real way to tell without examining the skeleton, but my vote is still hydnophora.

Whoa so I still might be right!

Crazy if it is a plating Hydno then it's a very cool coral! Let me know if you want to frag it. LOL!!!

After looking at pictures of Merulina scabricula I think that's what it is.

I am going to have to sell it soon, along with the rest of my livestock and my entire tank. My job has changed and is requiring me to travel a lot and I have no one to take care of it while i am gone.
I'm sure that coral will be great for fragging. A piece broke off when my friend gave it to me. I set the broken piece on top of another rock and it has now grown down onto that rock.

Thanks for the info everyone,

Ray

Back