Can Someone tell me What this is Growing in my Tank?

gmanjeep

Market
Reaction score
Hi, We recently had some new growth in our tank. It just came out of nowhere! I think it is some type of Soft Coral, But would like to know for sure. Stumped in Senoia!

100_7743.jpg
>http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/gmanjeep/100_7743.jpg</a>

Those are hydroids. They're related to jellyfish.

Unfortunately, they're a pest. Those lovely feather duster-like fingers contain fairly powerful stingers (enough that they can actually be felt slightly if you have enough contact with them for some species) that will iritate your corals.

They're typically the result of overfeeding or another nitrate problem since they're filter-type feeders. I recomend a toothbrush and a siphon.

We Have rid our Reef of the hideous Hydroids! Thanks for the help Everyone.

I have those too. I didn't know they were bad. I'll get rid of them this weekend. Thanks for the info.
Sheryle

Gman - what method did you use to get rid of them? Any hints to make it easier? And I suppose the same method could be used to get rid of Aptasia which I've recently imported on some live rock. Just curious as I plan on a full scale offensive against the aptasia currently invading my display tank.

All we did was pull it out as much as we could, and then we took a toothbrush and scrubbed the rock until it was gone. So far so good!

ares;221065 wrote: I think scrubbing aptasia off might be bad, unleashing its contents into the water could make it bloom. aptasia is best either eaten by a peppermint shrimp, or more directly injected with joes juice to kill it before removal.

They will definitely come back with a vengeance if you cut them into pieces.

Back