Can you fix glass scratches?

mkinna1

Market
Reaction score
I bought a 125 for near nothing and now I know why! There are scratches 6 inches from the bottom all the way around!?!? I dont know what they did to do this to this tank. Any suggestions?

Have you filled it with water yet? Most scatches look less intense or disappear all together when the tank is filled.

are they on the inside or outside? I have some compound that I'm going to try. I'll let you know if it works.

Yea thats what I am worried about algae starting to grow in the cracks. I knew it was to good to be true. I just dont know what he did or had in there that could have scratched it all the way around. Thanks everyone!

Sometimes sand grains can get in between each side of a mag float and then when you try and clean the glass off the grains scratch the glass. This may be what happened.

The only scratches that can be removed on glass are the ones that you can see but not feel. Typically manifesting in hazing. So if your fingernail can feel the scratch, its there to stay. Otherwise, a buffing compound might work for you.

I'm an acrylic tank guy so I know all about scratches... Every 6 months or so I go in with micromesh and remove the scratches in my tank. Its a pita. Your best bet is to not be a perfectionist and deal with it :). As people have mentioned it won't be nearly as noticeable once it is filled with water.

Give these guys a try. They have products that can repair the scratches, provided there not too deep. If you call them, they will explain the product and the process. I've talked to them and they were very helpful. They have products that are Aquarium safe, here's their web site....
a>  Good Luck!!

I was wondering if anybody has ever tried the "liquid glass" scratch remover repair stuff for eye glasses. i allways thought about trying that just to see what would happen.

I recommend not trying the janvil products. I've used them and they didn't do anything imo.

Back