Can you make a rimmed tank rimless?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Is this possible? Rimless seems to be getting popular, and I can see why... But it seems like to me you can just remove the rim from most glass tanks and have a rimless. Does this compromise the integrity? Can it be done?

corvettecris;155394 wrote: Is this possible? Rimless seems to be getting popular, and I can see why... But it seems like to me you can just remove the rim from most glass tanks and have a rimless. Does this compromise the integrity? Can it be done?

Yes it would comprise integrity. The rimless tanks are built out of thicker glass or arylic and supported byr Eurobrace or other methods. Removing the rims on a tank designed that way would not be smart at all.

corvettecris;155394 wrote: Is this possible? Rimless seems to be getting popular, and I can see why... But it seems like to me you can just remove the rim from most glass tanks and have a rimless. Does this compromise the integrity? Can it be done?

Yes it would comprise integrity. The rimless tanks are built out of thicker glass or acrylic and supported byr Eurobrace or other methods. Removing the rims on a tank designed that way would not be smart at all.

Yes it would comprise integrity. The rimless tanks are built out of thicker glass or acrylic and supported by other methods of bracing. Removing the rims on a tank designed that way would not be smart at all.

flyingarmy;155398 wrote: Yes it would comprise integrity. The rimless tanks are built out of thicker glass or acrylic and supported by other methods of bracing. Removing the rims on a tank designed that way would not be smart at all.

What other methods? You mean on the actual glass, or somehow within the stand?

corvettecris;155399 wrote: What other methods? You mean on the actual glass, or somehow within the stand?

Some designs like euro-bracing(piece of glass on the inside) work very well but not for sure if they can make them rimless. ELOS sells a beautiful rimless tank using thier patented silicon sealing method but you pay top dollar for those. I am sure you can have one custom made but will cost you a bit too.

Not a good idea. It took me a while to find my story of bursting a 300g tank, but you can
showthread.php

Yeahh... I was really just thinking aloud. Another thought, do you think a customizer would modify a tank to be rimless? I'm guessing 'no' due to issues with warrant or being liable for failure.

Not if you're willing to pay enough... You could probably do a rimless bowfront 90g if you made it from 1.5" acrylic. I'm guessing it'd cost $4-5000.

mojo;155402 wrote: Not a good idea. It took me a while to find my story of bursting a 300g tank, but you can http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37907">read it here</a> (no pics).[/QUOTE]

That thread was a good read. I remember reading on TRT a few years ago... There were a lot of old-timers in that thread who aren't around anymore. :sad:

FutureInterest;155420 wrote: That thread was a good read. I remember reading on TRT a few years ago... There were a lot of old-timers in that thread who aren't around anymore. :sad:

It was interesting reading my own posts from 3-4 years ago when I was searching for that thread... :)

Looking back it seems that you've gone through way more than your fair share of catastrophes. Either you really love this hobby or you're a sucker for punishment. Perhaps both... :)

corvettecris;155424 wrote: Did you ever get that monster fixed up and running?

I ended up having a new one made, and it ended up being moderately successful:

onblack.php
alt="" /></a>

I recently moved and am currently in the process of switching out a lot of my equipment, so hopefully I can do better this time around.

The original tank that burst ended up getting cut in half; I replaced the front, and now it's my 140g frag tank.

Looking back it seems that you've gone through way more than your fair share of catastrophes. Either you really love this hobby or you're a sucker for punishment. Perhaps both... :)

I keep thinking the same thing... especially when I look back at the pictures of my tank from 1995/1996 (on actual film - gasp!). I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. One of these days I'll have a nice tank... :)

Right. But even though I'm not the one to do it, I don't think it's accurate to say you have no clue how much the water pushes on the glass. I'd say this is very easily calculated if you know what you're doing... (not me). I do think that it could be done, maybe even easily, assuming you knew a bit about fluids and glass. But of course, I'm just assuming here, I don't know a whole lot about either.

Even though I haven't really considered pulling the rim off my 92, I have thought about it on my 29 gal. On the 92 I have considered painting the rim and stand white to blend it with the walls, but I'll probably skip that too just out of laziness.

Thanks dawgdude and everyone for the input. A unanimous hell no. Haha

Back