Can you successfully run a frag and quarantine tank together?

cgill311

Market
Reaction score
After the frag meeting, I'm thinking about setting up a 10 g frag tank. Erggg...and I just recently got down to one tank to take care of! :doh:

Can anyone share some good links to frag tank builds? Just looking for ideas. Can this also double as a quarantine tank?

Chris, the main problem with doubling a QT tank as a frag setup is that if you ever need to medicate a sick fish or you receive a coral with parasites, your frags are in trouble; when you introduce new specimens into the QT tank, you run the risk of "contaminating" (for lack of a better word) the frags.

I would recommend plumbing a frag tank into your main system, although some people don't like this idea because if something were to happen to your system, the frag tank would be affected as well.

I can't think of any good links at the moment, but I'll try to locate one when my brain cells aren't asleep. :confused2:

It could be used loosely as a quarantine tank but then again you wouldnt be quarantining very well if it was connected to your main system. You could use a series of ball valves and flush the Q system out with water from your main to acclimate your livestock over a slow period of time but thats just more cool ideas than practicality. There is a million and one ideas out there for frag tanks but rubbermaid totes are used quite frequently. Honestly they work better for quarantining fish better than tanks since they do not allow the fish to see outside of the box.

Most fragging tanks are shallow. simply because it requires less lighting (or you get more bang for the buck) and it is a lot easier to work in (especially if you have two left hands :)

it could be used as a quarantine tank to acclimate or give a break, but as mentioned above, not to medicate.

Also when you quarantine (say acclimation of new fish), "typically" you go easy on the lighting...

free advice... use the ten to quarantine and get a shallower (wider) tank or acrylic or rubbermade to frag. Or another ten, it is just not a lot of room to work in.

My $.02 worth

johnny

Not to take away from the main topic here. But what kind of filtration would you need for a shallow frag tank/tub?

Back