can you use durso without overflow

zippgirl

Reaction score
I could use some advice. I had blue planet drill my 29 gal and they drilled it in the right back corner in the bottom, but I refuse to pay $80 for an overflow. I had planned on taking a 6 inch pvc pipe and cut inhalf to make an overflow but now I am wondering if I can just install my durso stand pipe I made and put a strainer on it to keep critters out. Any advice and pic would be appreciated. Thanks, Deanna.

You should be able to. Here check them out
a>

Not to mention that it will be easily clogged with snails, fish, etc.

Take Dawgdude's advice.

I built one out of acrylic and just did the seams with silicone not weld-on and it has held up just fine.

Just do a straight stand pipe. Cut some teeth at the top to keep your fish in the tank, simple. I would feel better having two drains though, just in case.

thanks for the advice guys. I thought the acrylic wall might not hold well with just silicon, but I guess I was wrong.What thickness should I use. I may still try to use one half of a 6 inch pvc pipe, but need to find a place that only sells short pieces, Lowes only has long pieces. I don't need 20 bucks worth of pipe.

See if dawgdude will make you an overflow. He's a real nice guy.

BTW, how did you come up with "zippgirl", if you don't mind me asking?

I used to work at Ykk, which made zippers. So zippgirl worked. It has been about 8 yrs since I worked there, but I like it so I keep it.

If you had the back of the tank drilled you should be fine with an external durso. What size hold was drilled? I only like to use 1 1/2" bulkheads and drains for external dursos, but 1" may drain fast enough for a 29g.

Keep in mind that the smaller the air hole you put in the top of the durso the faster it will drain. Too small of a hole will cause surges, whereas too large may drain too slowly.

The tank was actually drilled in the bottom. It is a 1 inch bulkhead, so the hole drilled acommadates that. A plumbing company has offered to give me a 17 inch piece of 6 inch pvc, so I am going to cut it in half and try to use that. Thanks for the advice on the air hole size. I have experience with saltwater tanks, and have had success with only HOB filters. This will be my first try at a sump. I had a 125 gallon FOWLR and a 29 with some softies and I shut them down a little over a year ago to go back to school for nursing. But I can't go without a saltwater tank any longer, so I wanted to crank back up the 29 gallon and try to do it right with a sump. Right now I have a 20 gallon long with a HOB filter and I want to move them to the 29 gallon. I am going to use a mag 3 that came off of my aqua c urchine skimmer, do you think this will work. I am a little nervous and intimidated about trying to use a sump, so wish me luck. Any advice is appreciated and I will post pictures of the process if any one is interested. I think I did a pretty good job on building my own sump, for a girl. Of course I did cut my hand open trying to take one of the glass dividers out that I put in the wrong place.

one more thing Danny can you advise me on what size I should have my husband start with for the air hole. Thanks

Back