Candy Cane not opening

nanjinho

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello guys. So this is how it used to look about 5 months ago.
Capture+_2019-02-03-17-56-02.png
Now its like rock coral!.
20190111_151332_HDR.jpg
Its still growing and spliting and all the other corals and fishes are doing fine.

The parameters are fine... So I have no idea what it is....

Funny thing is that I started with like 10 heads now its like 100... But they just dont open...

How's the flow to them? I know when I have my Vortech on "tank clean" (or whatever it's called) mine will shrink up because they get a good blast of flow they're not used to. It's odd that they're still growing well, I assume that means they aren't stressed out. Is there anything that's bothering them?

+1 on flow. I believe that flow definitely plays a big part in how much mine open, I have some downstairs in the frag tank that don’t get any direct flow and the are huge, I always get comments on how big they get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them on med to low flow.
I have so many heads that I fragges them and test them on 5 different spots in the tank. They are all closed up...

2 on med to high
2 on bottom of the tank (no sand bed)
1 on high flow

I have them on med to low flow.
I have so many heads that I fragges them and test them on 5 different spots in the tank. They are all closed up...

2 on med to high
2 on bottom of the tank (no sand bed)
1 on high flow

Is there any other lps in the tank? What’s your alk?

Is there any other lps in the tank? What’s your alk?

Alk is 6.5
I have bta\ shroom\ lether \ gsp and sps
Only problem i had was with zoas but they are also doing good now

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Alk is 6.5
I have bta\ shroom\ lether \ gsp and sps
Only problem i had was with zoas but they are also doing good now

Is there any reason you keep it at 6.5? Seems a little low to me, doesn’t give much room for fluctuation.

Is there any reason you keep it at 6.5? Seems a little low to me, doesn’t give much room for fluctuation.

I dont have the 2 part to boost it up.
Just using kalk at the moment.
Sps are doing good so far so no complaints there.

Natural sea water is 7-11 dkh. The candy cane could be struggling a little. You could add more kalk, calcium and alkalinity are dosed in equal parts with kalk and it shouldn’t harm anything. I’m not telling you to do anything, but 6.5 is too low in my opinion. I freak out if mine gets anywhere in the 7 range.

Seems like you are growing in to a stage where you might want to get some products to adjust calcium and alkalinity in the future.

Agree with the alk. My alkalinity has been low recently and I've been really focusing on bringing it up. At 6.5 the heads were barely hanging on. Now that it's back up to 8, they are looking much better. Bring it up slow and everything should look better

Thank you guys!
Now I know what to add.. But dont know what to get..
Does this mean I need 2 part dosing??

There are a lot of options but I use a 2 part system. One product for calcium and the other for alkalinity. You need to test for calcium and alkalinity and once they are both in an acceptable range, wait a few days and test again. This will give you an idea how much is used for each of them. After much trial and error, I know that my tank runs thought about 10 grams of Seachem's Calcium and 10g of Reef Builder every day. I do this and test once a week to make sure things are running smooth and adjust my doses accordingly.

Back