Canister Filter

lees

Market
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a canister filter. I am going to build a 55 FOWLR but it will probably turn into a reef with some softies now that my wife has the bug. Seems like a simple option to me. I know you have to keep up the maintenance with these things. Good or bad idea:confused2:

20 long:,, Nova extreme 2x24 Aquaclear 30 Koralia mini, Current LED blue moonlight
17 lbs live rock, 20 lbs live sand, Domino damsel, Blue damsel, Bluefin damsel, Scooter blenny, Green star polyps, Button polyps, Small starfish, Hatian PTA, Shrooms, Fireworm colony, Anthelia, Small brain, Tree sponge, Queen conch, Blue legged hermits, Nassarius snails, Margarita snails, 2 Peppermint shrimp, Emerald crab(somewhere in there)

I actually run 2 canister filters on my 120 gallon mixed reef. I dont have a filter pad in there...they are mostly just filled with that weird eheim media. Its been running like this for 2+ years and i never really clean them and have not had any nitrate problems.

Do you havae skimmer set up If so how? Sump or anything?

Yeah, I have a big old Coralife Super skimmer with an OceanRunner 2500 that hangs of t he back of the tank. I had a sump but the wife got tired of the noise it made. I also dose vodka.

Can't do white liquor over here. (Really Vodka? What for?). Any suggestions for a skimmer? Oh BTW thanks for the input. Why does this thing log me out when I switch back and forth between forums,threads, anyone have similar problem?

Back