Canister to Cal Reactor-???

raz0945

Supporting
Reaction score
Can I use Gen X calcium media(large media) in a canister? I only use a pack of charcoal in one section and the others are empty. I'm confused about calcium reactors!!! My tank is 29g w/20g ref. Thanks Holley

My cal runs 400-430 can't get to 450
dose 2x wk
Ph 8.2 can't keep at 8.3

No. That won't do anything. THe only way for you to "Get" calcium out of the media is to disolve it. To disolve it, you need to drop the ph and make it acidic; this is what happens inside a calcium reactor.

WHy not dose kalk?

I was dosing my 90 with B-Ionic 2 part for over a year with good levels around 450 twice a week might not be enough dosing depending on how much calcium is getting used by corals. I have been running a calcium reactor now becuase I was dosing daily and I was tired of it.

Thanks for the info, I will try doseing 3 times a week on my small tanks until I check out both kalk and Ionic-b. Will be puting up a 75g soon and I will need to find a reasonable cal reactor. What is the best brand for the money??
Thanks again, Holley

Your neighbor in Lawrenceville, http://www.myreefcreations.com/">My Reef Creations</a>. We'll be happy to find you one that will suit your needs.

And back to the original question-

Theoretically, if you could slow your canister down to a drip rate, you could inject white vinegar to lower the pH in place of CO2, but this will also raise the carbon levels of your tank. I've known one person to do it effectively, but he used a calcium reactor. It would be a tricky balance to achieve.

Back