Canopy build for my 28G bow-front

jrob11111

Market
Reaction score
So this weekend, I started building the canopy for my 28G bow front. Very exciting, as once I finish the canopy I will finally take the leap from fresh water to marine...CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Attached is my design/schematic, and pics of the top and base. I have modified the base to accomodate a skimmer (eventually an overflow - have a sump coming in November which will be housed in my stand w/ the skimmer). The pics aren't the best, as taken with my phone, but good enough to give the general idea. I welcome any thoughts/recommendations.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
556383=26259-canopy - base.jpg
>
556383=26259-canopy - base.jpg
class="gc-images" title="canopy - base.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
556383=26258-canopy - top.jpg
>
556383=26258-canopy - top.jpg
class="gc-images" title="canopy - top.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
fieldset>

Good job, nice canopy!... you will live having a saltwater tank... make sure to ask tons of questions, the people here have always been a tremendous help to me!

I just built the frame, and used plywood, clamps and glue. The plywood bends easily.

Very nice man! I see that charcoal in the background. Ya know you could use that to lure some people over to help with the setup right?

Smallblock;556432 wrote: How do you bend the wood?
you can actually do it a couple ways (in case you're looking to do it yourself..)

pm me and I'll give you a couple quick suggestions (that can be done relatively cheaply)

I had cut the bend in the frame from a 1x4 and then clamped the plywood to the shape

Made some progress this week - the build is complete, and all I have left to do is paint the inside, stain the outside and install my electronics: 4x28w t5's, moonlights and 2 fans...then the switch to marine begins...after I find a home for my fresh water fish (mother in law is taking care of this...).
557784=26318-canopy.jpg
>
557784=26318-canopy.jpg
class="gc-images" title="canopy.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

So, I have installed the t5 reflectors, and will be staining/sealing the canopy this weekend. I am getting rid of my fresh water fish on sunday, so the migration to marine begins. Once stained, I just have to install the moonlight and the cooling fans and I am all set. Looks like I may go ahead and mix my water and start cycling pretty soon.
558473=26351-canopy with reflectors.jpg
>
558473=26351-canopy with reflectors.jpg
class="gc-images" title="canopy with reflectors.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

And the canopy is complete. I hope to be going to see Chris at Fish Scales tomorrow to buy my LR and LS.
559272=26406-canopy completed.jpg
>
559272=26406-canopy completed.jpg
class="gc-images" title="canopy completed.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thank you john~was my first canopy build so while I'm haPpy with how it turned out, there are things I will do differently next time

Back