Canopy build question

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
I see some on going threads about canopy builds that have left me with a few questions. I may eventually build a bowfront canopy for my 175 (250mh). I will be painting it black to match the stand...so I thought I could get away with using a less expensive wood. Now I am concerned about the fire hazard with the MH.
<ul>
<li>What kind of wood should I use?</li>
<li>How should I prepare it to be fire proof?</li>
</ul>Thanks!

If you plan on bending and painting I would use European steamed beech. So far as fire resistant I'm not sure there are any. There are plywoods available that are impregnated with sodium to slow the spread of a flame generaly used in commercial buildings.I would not concern myself with the issue of fire from a metal halide if :
You use a good quality reflector and maybe an air gap of 1/2" or more between the reflector material and the canopy top

grouper therapy;393956 wrote: If you plan on bending and painting I would use European steamed beech.

European steamed beech???

Isnt that a beer? I think I had that at Taco Mac once. :D

Where would I get something like that?

you can bend and glue up any wood you want (use multiple sheets of 1/4" plywood)

Reflectors will protect the wood from the heat of the lamp, as I found out with http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33039">THIS TEST</a> that I conducted a couple weeks ago... without using spacers and placing the reflector between the lamp and the plywood, the plywood wasn't even warm to the touch..
(so don't worry about using any fire treatment for the plywood, or worry about buying fire retardant wood)

I have seen metal halides mounted directly to the canopy as most are with out spacers aswell without any problems .Although I did have a 400 watt bubble up the laminate on a work bench without a reflecter., no fire though. I was not suggesting to use the flame retardent plywood just to let you know they exist. It is true almost any wood will bend but there are some that bend better than others. If you are wanting to make solid wood raised panels the steamed beech is a great choice it is a very staight grained wood that does not have alot of spring back. 1/4 plwood will bend to some radius but can give you trouble if the radius gets too tight + you have to plan on concealing the raw plywood edge as it will not paint up as well as the rest. Mahogany ,Poplar, birch ,alder and hemlock are other woods that bend fairly easy. I spent the last 25 years building curved stairs and have used about every type wood there is and the steamed beech was the easiest to bend and work with. Just to let you know as well there are plywoods available that are design to bend to tight radius. 1/8" and 3/8" are two of the sizes available.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17202&d=1243651532" alt="" />
I used some of it as the core on some of the panels on this stand. The final layer was african mahogany which bends well also.

BASSCYN;393997 wrote: European steamed beech???

Isnt that a beer? I think I had that at Taco Mac once. :D

Where would I get something like that?
Peachstate lumber in Kennesaw

There is a lumber company in Suwanee also (just south of the square on Buford Highway) it's a better drive for you than Kennesaw and I know they have a lot of hard to find species..

but they may not have the beech that GT is talking about..

I saw a build that I cant remember where it was framed out and wrapped in the front with sheet metal but Im not sure about the heat. The rest was made out of wood and painted black. But the sheet metal was an ideal was of getting the front covered with the bend. The canopy opened with a piano hing, so the whole front lifted up.

grouper therapy;394087 wrote: Peachstate lumber in Kennesaw

Thanks!
Spectactuar stand by the way!!

This would be a fairly straight forward contemporary canopy painted in a smooth flat black finish. So I dont know that I need any specialty wood except that I am not sure I can get the finish I want from standard plywood. I guess I could sand it down enough.

Thanks for the help. When I get ready to do this I may pick you brain some more:)

Rbredding;394019 wrote: you can bend and glue up any wood you want (use multiple sheets of 1/4" plywood)

Reflectors will protect the wood from the heat of the lamp, as I found out with http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33039">THIS TEST</a> that I conducted a couple weeks ago... without using spacers and placing the reflector between the lamp and the plywood, the plywood wasn't even warm to the touch..
(so don't worry about using any fire treatment for the plywood, or worry about buying fire retardant wood)[/QUOTE]

Great stuff!!! That helps a lot. I guess I have no worries about fire. Just the same though...what about the inside of the canopy. Do you guys finish it too or leave it raw???

Great build Grouper! Dang!

Paint the inside with a high quality white paint. You need a paint that will withstand the high levels of moisture you'll endure. You could use a pigmented sealer (there are several and I won't name just one here) that will give you great adhesion, seal the inside and provide the reflection.

If this is a simple build, I've use hardboard panels (found at HD for $6.50 a 4' x 8' sheet). It's light, bends very well, somewhat moisture resistant and paints pretty well. That's what I used to make a custom riser over my 29 biocube. I'm planning on using it over my 92 corner too.

I used KILZ (oil base) prime for the inside of my canopy.. one coat (it goes on pretty thick)

Remember that you can always add a veneer to the "bent" plywood in order to give you the finish you want

(or a thin layer of MDF - that stuff finishes like glass)

Rbredding;394342 wrote: I used KILZ (oil base) prime for the inside of my canopy.. one coat (it goes on pretty thick)

Remember that you can always add a veneer to the "bent" plywood in order to give you the finish you want

(<u>or a thin layer of MDF</u></em> - that stuff finishes like glass)

Junk the worst stuff ever invented I hate it with a passion dulls blades swells like a sponge with any moisture and gives me a headache lol

Rbredding;394342 wrote: I<u> used KILZ (oil base) prime</u></em> for the inside of my canopy.. one coat (it goes on pretty thick)

(or a thin layer of MDF - that stuff finishes like glass)

But that is great stuff +1

Back