Canopy Design - Public Opinion

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
Hello All,

I need to build my canopy. Air circulation is going to be important so I'm trying to design something with a lot of access to air. Here are a couple sketches that I've come up with. Please let me know which option you like, and or, if you have seen other similar designs and what they looked like.

They are not shown, but I plan to have fans installed on the top of the canopy.

The sketch of my tank and base cabinet are fairly accurate representations.

Thanks!

Option #1
Aquarium-hoodcanopy2.png
alt="" />

Aquarium-hoodcanopy.png
alt="" />

Option #2

Aquarium-ovalopeningcanopy2.png
alt="" />

Aquarium-ovalopeningcanopy.png
alt="" />

My wife likes the first one, which was my original plan. I personally like the second one... I guess that's why there is a second sketch. I thought about opening up the side of the 2nd canopy also. I should be able to pick up materials this evening. I'll wait to see what a few other people think before I make a decision.

If I go with the first option, my plan is to suspend it from the ceiling. Anyone know if Home Depot has a kit. I have no idea what to look for.

What type of other furnishings do you have where the aquarium is going? Are you trying to match a certain "style" of furniture? The second is very nice for a contemporary look. Accessibility is of course a major concern as well.

Either one looks great to me! I'd go with the first one though. Like you said, the wife likes #1. Is there really any other choice?:up:

90galguy;718413 wrote: What type of other furnishings do you have where the aquarium is going? Are you trying to match a certain "style" of furniture? The second is very nice for a contemporary look. Accessibility is of course a major concern as well.

Either one looks great to me! I'd go with the first one though. Like you said, the wife likes #1. Is there really any other choice?:up:

You make a very good point. The 2nd is a more contemporary style. Our house and furniture is not contemporary. On your last point, you may be right. I may not really have an option.

Still haven't decided for sure, but I have tried to work my way through the miter cuts on the first option.

Sketchup is a really cool tool. It's proven to be very useful in the last couple of weeks since I downloaded the program. I'm sure I don't even know 1/10th of the stuff it can do.

JBDreefs;718429 wrote: You make a very good point. The 2nd is a more contemporary style. Our house and furniture is not contemporary. On your last point, you may be right. I may not really have an option.

Still haven't decided for sure, but I have tried to work my way through the miter cuts on the first option.

Sketchup is a really cool tool. It's proven to be very useful in the last couple of weeks since I downloaded the program. I'm sure I don't even know 1/10th of the stuff it can do.
Make sure to talk with GrouperTherapy. He might be able to give you a pointer or two on the software and the structure. He created my built-in which is fantastic and fits our style perfectly!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
718450=34208-Build-In-Complete01.jpg
>
718450=34208-Build-In-Complete01.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Build-In-Complete01.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Option 1. Pisces Pets which use to be in Jonesboro when I first got into this hobby 20 years ago had a freestanding freshwater tank with that hood on it. I always liked it. They had it in real light oak.

If the goal is air circulation then I vote for option 2.

On option 1 I think you plan on putting the fans on the very top... Blowing out (which is correct), but where will fresh air enter the canopy?

Astecially I prefer option 1.

I can see a couple inline fans utilized in option 1, option 2 would be rough if you dont care for light leakage.
As for ceiling mounting, I think you ought to look at a different option such as supported @ rear of tank. chances of finding rafters or joists in exactly the right location are slim.

You could have the canopy about ½ to 1” above the tank and have it far enough from the wall so when you need to get in it you could push it backwards on the bars mounted to the wall behind it. To control the temp you could put an inline thermostat on the fans. When the lights are on they will build up heat then the thermostat would come on and off as the temp rises and falls.

ROBERTSHAW-Line-VoltageThermostat-4KFV5

elFloyd;718460 wrote: If the goal is air circulation then I vote for option 2.

On option 1 I think you plan on putting the fans on the very top... Blowing out (which is correct), but where will fresh air enter the canopy?

Astecially I prefer option 1.

On option 1, the canopy will be suspended, leaving a gap between the tank and canopy. Thanks for clarification on the direction of the fans.

wbrown;718466 wrote: As for ceiling mounting, I think you ought to look at a different option such as supported @ rear of tank. chances of finding rafters or joists in exactly the right location are slim.

This is the exact problem I had. I was using items I had on hand which required the overall canopy to be larger than then the tank. In addition, it is angled to the wall behind. This left only one real option for me which is suspension. One end was directly below a web truss but the other was not. I had to jerry rig a support that spans two web trusses in order to get the suspension point where I wanted it. Doesn't look great but doesn't look terrible either.

If I don't suspend option #1 from the ceiling, here is what I have invisioned for an alternate mounting system. I'm thinking some 1" square tubing. The top of the mounting bracket would run through the top of the canopy.

My only concern with this design is access to the aquarium.

Edit:
HoodMountExample2.png
alt="" />
JBDreefs;718621 wrote: If I don't suspend option #1 from the ceiling, here is what I have invisioned for an alternate mounting system. I'm thinking some 1" square tubing. The top of the mounting bracket would run through the top of the canopy.

My only concern with this design is access to the aquarium.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">If you go in the attic and brace across the top of the joist you can drop it thru the sheetrock where you want it. You could even take a 2x6 and screw it thru the joist on each end and mount a hanger from that. Just think of it as hanging 2 ceiling fan's spaced 4 feet apart. As long as the load the safely supported sky&#8217;s the limit. </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"> </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">If you mount the hanger on the back of the stand you won&#8217;t be able to get the canopy out of your way and will have to hinge the front part. If the tank is 8&#8221; off the wall and you mount say EMT on the wall, you could push the canopy back say 4 -6&#8221; for access. And then if you need to remove it make the power cords have male/female plugs at the canopy so you won&#8217;t have to fiddle with dangling cords while moving than canopy on and off for major inside tank work. I used computer supply connections because I had them. If I were to purchase them they would be twist locks but that&#8217;s a lot more.</span></span>

Mount it on the bracket coming from the back, but use a linear actuator and rails so that you can raise and lower the canopy automatically. Here's an example:
a>

Okay gang. Going to build the canopy today. Apparently my wife and the public opinion are in line, so I'll be going with option #1. Picked up a sheet of oak plywood from HD. Got it for half price because part of it was ruined by a forklift. Obviously, I won't be using that part. Should I start a new thread or post the build here?

Back