Canopy Painting Suggestions

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
I want to paint my canopy but I want it to be sealed WELL beforehand. I was planning on priming/sanding......but that's alot of messy, time consuming work. Couldn't I just seal it with polyurethane or standard water sealer (like for a deck) then paint it?

What would be the difference of brushing a primer like Kilz instead of the polyurethane? The poly would have to be scuffed to even apply the paint and still is not the ideal surface to paint over(adhesion problems).

Actually I'm trying to avoid brushing at all. I want to spray it to create the smoothest possible coverage. The reason I was considering a deck sealant is they soak in and brush marks are non-existent. I've used Kilz before inside of canopies and it didn't seem to level well and you could always tell it was brushed. I wonder if Kilz offers a primer in a spray can option??? I keep a gallon of their oil based and latex based on-hand for house projects, but can't recall ever seeing any Kilz products offered in a spray can.

Actually Kilz does offer their primer in aerosol cans.....maybe that's the way to go.

Question: Why do you need the inside of the canopy to have furniture grade painting?

I'm painting the outside too??? I just mentioned brushing Kilz inside a stand since it turned out too "streaky" to be painted and considered a good exterior finish. I could care less on the inside.

I did say canopy in the other post.....it was the inside of a stand I painted with Kilz.

I don't know of any finish that you can do and get a nice finish without some type of sanding. Maybe a powder coating but thats not a fine finish. If you have access to a air compressor and a spray gun would be your best bet. If not Penetrol additive helps with brush marks.

So you figured out how you where going to do the canopy hey. Drop us some pics unless you plan on doing a build thread.

Not really a canopy per se anymore. I worked through a few versions and all seemed to make maintenance a bit tough, both cleaning the tank and changing bulbs. It's a bit unusual.....but should facilitate in maintenance and maximize heat dissipation. Requires a mesh top but no biggy. Here's a VERY rough sketch. It weighs almost nothing too so I can yank the whole thing off if I need to. Not as much room for actinics as I wanted with the old canopy design unfortunately. I was actually considering selling the 93 and jumping up to one of Perfecto/Marinelands larger Deep-Dimension tanks since I have so much room where it's going and to get more usable space in the stand, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

picture.php

Back