Canopy Weight

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
I have almost finished my stand build and my wife has seen some pics of canopy's and she is thinking that she would like a canopy on the tank. Im not too concerned about the construction but im not sure if there are any weight concerns when building canopy's.

Im thinking maybe 1/2" ply with 2x2 corners for framing. It's going on a 60g cube so im too concerned but thought I would check.

No real concern about canopy weight. Mine is solid oak. Just know that you will need to remove it from time to time so you should be able to lift it if you need. (Or design it really well to limit how often it needs to be removed.) Think about all the features you are going to need for all the aspects of your tank. Think about what type of lighting you are going to need and are you going to have to have fans in it. Think about how deep your tank is and can you reach over the canopy to get to the bottom of the tank or do you need to design a front open canopy. A lot of planning will help you in the long run!

Back