cant find polypropylene mesh ..help!

hammcd

Market
Reaction score
so i am trying to build a proper lid for my biocube 14 since my tiny clownfish went carpet surfing and have been linked to this thread multiple times:http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34002&highlight=mesh">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34002&highlight=mesh</a>

i cant for the life of me find 1/4 inch <span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">polypropylene mesh..ive been to almost everyone home depot, lowes, and ace in the metro area...they have 1/2 inch, 1/8 inch, metal, etc etc but noone has 1/4 inch polypropylene mesh..anyone know where i can score some of this locally?....it would be the perfect size for my small fish...any info would be greatly appreciated..also if anyone has extra i would buy it from you</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">thanks :)</span></span>

Dave has some. I went to lowes yesterday to get the frame and couldn't find the mesh either. So I'm getting Dave to ship me some. He has them really cheap. You guys should hit him up

Thanks,

Hoang Nguyen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acroholic (Dave) has plenty and he will ship for a very nominal fee. They work very well.

Just built my mesh top using mesh from Dave. Awesome stuff.

I just picked some up from dave so if you guys need any be sure to hit him up

thanks, dave, got the mesh in the mail today and went to lowes this morning..building the top right now...just realized i need a hacksaw...also the only 5/16th screen rim i could find was metal..i wonder if this will ehat up too much under my sunpod 70w

Hammcd;605617 wrote: thanks, dave, got the mesh in the mail today and went to lowes this morning..building the top right now...just realized i need a hacksaw...also the only 5/16th screen rim i could find was metal..i wonder if this will ehat up too much under my sunpod 70w

I'd be more worried about rust. Salt water will rust anything metal in an instant.

Hammcd;605659 wrote: hmm good point...dave, what did u use for the edges of the tops

+1, getting ready to start this process myself and would like to do it right the first time. Does everyone just take the chance with the metal edging or is there a non-metal option.

i looked all over at lowes ..their only 5/16th edge was made of metal although it is painted..i have it ehre right now waiting to cut..i looked at daves pics and looks like he also had metal edges..they r cheap so i think im just gonna do it and see how it goes

There is very little contact between the SW and the frames, as it sits in the top trim or on the glass itself, in the case of a rimless tank. Never been a issue for me. Worst case scenario is after a long while you might a bit of oxidation on the ends, but that would not be rust, just aluminum oxide (maybe aluminum rust?), which is the active ingredient in Seachem Phosguard. I have been using mesh tops on my tanks for over two years without issue.

I see more salt buildup on the mesh itself than anywhere else. I periodically take my mesh tops outside and spray them of with a garden hose to get rid of any salt buildup.

I personally consider mesh tops to be a long term, but not permanent, thing. Over a few years you may want to redo them or replace the mesh. The mesh has a long life, but it is more fragile than, say, glass. Like the hinge strip on a glass top, you may need to replace the mesh or the frame pieces after several years of use.

The only time I heard of the mesh degrading was one ARC Member had it on a tank with 1000 watt halides, and after a year or two it got brittle. That really didn't surprise me, given the intensity and heat of his lights.

Back