cant hold sps fluorescent greens to save my life

russ-iv

Market
Reaction score
seems any sps that fluoresces green under actinics turns purple after a week, then pales out to a pale brown. almost bone white. but there seems to be a brown tinge to it.

im curious if this is a lighting issue, or nutrient from your experiences.

purples stay purple for the most part. but greens turn purple, paled out purple, then pale brown. not quite sure what to make of it since im an sps nub.

lps and softies dont change. just the sps.

params:
.5 nitrate
.01 phosphate
1350 mag
425 calcium
7.8 dkh
ph 8 all day and night
78 degrees

I had a maxspect razor system. I went to an ATI 8 bulb. I'm not saying this is the issue , it may have very well been a coincidence.

mattgee87;1042321 wrote: I had a maxspect razor system. I went to an ATI 8 bulb. I'm not saying this is the issue , it may have very well been a coincidence.

im for any suggestions. i can throw t5s in there but i would have to take some led panels out

how long before you added t5s?

man that is a 3w cree as well.(maxspect razor) pretty strong

What led do you have? I'm running a radion/t5 combo and have a green birdsnest for a few weeks and a bright green acro since Monday. Both look great, and the birdsnest looks to have grown

LSU_fishFan;1042337 wrote: What led do you have? I'm running a radion/t5 combo and have a green birdsnest for a few weeks and a bright green acro since Monday. Both look great, and the birdsnest looks to have grown

its a dsuny 3w bridgelux system.
im on my second week with the pink birdsnest. green dies on day 8

Russ-IV;1042339 wrote: its a dsuny 3w bridgelux system.
im on my second week with the pink birdsnest. green dies on day 8

Do you have a pic of the tank? It could be that certain areas receive the correct lighting, but not flow. Or it could be other tank mates.

par readings of my current lighting schedule.

14dg1hh.jpg
alt="" />

they get the brunt of the flow. like... frags will blow off if i dont place em in a hole

95% of coral in the wild is brown. Brown's a colour ;)

I'd say it's a light issue, and things are either bleaching or browning in reaction to the light - whether it's the par or whatnot, I don't know - I'll leave that explanation to someone more versed in such things than myself.

Jenn

Brown is caused by 2 things usually.
1. Lighting too low - doesn't seem to be your case with that part
2. Phosphates. Causes the zoox alage totake over color. Zoox build up when either nutrients are too high, or light is insufficient.*

Lighting for sure.

Uv enhances green pigmentation, so I'd say you're lacking uv. Since you're losing all colour, I'd say you need better or more intense lighting.

This is without knowing what you have, your system specs, etc., so there's margin for error.

R

Skriz;1042437 wrote: Lighting for sure.

Uv enhances green pigmentation, so I'd say you're lacking uv. Since you're losing all colour, I'd say you need better or more intense lighting.

This is without knowing what you have, your system specs, etc., so there's margin for error.

R

hmmm makes sense on the uv part. i have blue and light purple leds but may not be the same thing. or not intense enough.

there a good single t5 vho fixture?
its either add in long singles as supplemental or rip out led panels.

ive bumped my blue and purples to 100% in the meantime

not to dispute Raj because i highly respect his opinion but ive been without uv for over 4 years as i only have royal blue,cool and warm whites,none of them producing true uv and my greens are rocking and always have.

reeferman;1042444 wrote: not to dispute Raj because i highly respect his opinion but ive been without uv for over 4 years as i only have royal blue,cool and warm whites,none of them producing true uv and my greens are rocking and always have.

I'm betting you have higher intensity, though, no?

Like Reggie has shown, there are many ways to get green and other colours. Uv is just one of them. You have to find that blend that looks good to you..a beauty of t5 and led.

1ovw44.jpg
alt="" />

maybe this will show what im getting at. the process is slow, but noticeable.

here is what it looked like when i got it

125.jpg
alt="" />

if i have to crank up the light i will. i was just trying to keep it "safe" since leds are known to be intense with optics.

Looks like a different frag to me?
I doubt it's your lights. I have read that you can have phosphates and it will still show 0. You could google it. But I know I've read that before. Since its a fairly new tank I would guess that. I would start off by testing alk/cal/mag daily and record the results and see if you have any swings. That could also cause coral to brown.

Back