Capping one side of overflow

jgeorge06

Market
Reaction score
While I am waiting on the silicone on my sump to finish curing, I thought it would be a good time to ask this. I have a CPR dual overflow that came with my 75. My sump is set up for 1 filter sock, so would I be ok capping off the unused bulkhead? Or should I find someone willing to trade overflows?

You could cap it but be careful with a return pump as one overflow may not drain fast enough. Another option is to combine the overflows into one larger one and use both. Also adding another sock is simple. And it could be on in the original spot and one in the refuge section.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1060023 wrote: Why not use it, would be better to run 2 drains instead of one.

+1
I run two filter socks. It's a nice not having to change them as often!

Ya - I wouldn't cap it either. Best cast scenario is you have a dead spot for detritus to collect.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1060023 wrote: Why not use it, would be better to run 2 drains instead of one.

The way I was planning on running this sump was to use the middle section as a refugium, but should I just put the skimmer there instead?
880caeab86950603a475a18663432e93.jpg
alt="" />

The idea of running them into one didn't even cross my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Refugiums usually flow at a different rate than a sump (ie slower) so this would not be ideal. I would put the skimmer in that section. If you're just completely set on a refugium, make it an external with a pump of it's own or do like I do and feed it from one supply side of the overflow with a ball valve so you can control the flow rate.

I have the CPR external overflow boxes as well. I would recommend you to use both of the drains and to not cap one off

jgeorge06;1060100 wrote: The way I was planning on running this sump was to use the middle section as a refugium, but should I just put the skimmer there instead?
880caeab86950603a475a18663432e93.jpg
alt="" />

The idea of running them into one didn't even cross my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO that's a skimmer section. You'll be ok wo a fuge, unless you just really want one. For it to really make a dent you'd need a large one... Not just a section of the sump.

:) just my opinion. Keep things simple as possible because as your tank grows over the next 3-5 years it WILL get more complex... Fast:)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Back