Captive bred?

lmm1967

Reaction score
Any of our local stores carry captive bred livestock? Mainly reef safe(ish) fish besides Clowns?

Southern Aquatics LFS orders from a couple of aquaculture/breeder outfits - hooked me up with a gorgeous pair of ORA elongated dottybacks! Only one survived settling in due to their love of roosting inside Koralia powerheads... but that's not on the folks at SA.

I also think that Pure Reef gets in some tank bred stuff, but usually only as special orders outside of clownfish.

Lmm1967;1107423 wrote: Any of our local stores carry captive bred livestock? Mainly reef safe(ish) fish besides Clowns?

Everyone knows that you can't have a circus without some Clowns! A reef tank isn't a reef tank without some Clowning Around. Hopefully you already have some clowns in your tank, your just looking for some audience to go with the clowns :clown: :clown:.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1107432 wrote: Everyone knows that you can't have a circus without some Clowns! A reef tank isn't a reef tank without some Clowning Around. Hopefully you already have some clowns in your tank, your just looking for some audience to go with the clowns :clown: :clown:.

Wannabee

Hehe. We have 2 lightning maroons. Each in its own tank due to aggression. One of them is outrageously ornery and afraid of nothing.

If I even reach towards the magnet scraper on the outside of the tank it immediately goes into attack mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a growing number of captive raised species available. Still, in the bigger picture, relatively few kinds of fishes are captive raised. There are some species that are collected as larvae and 'tank raised' - while not propagated in captivity, they are reared in captivity and as such, are better suited to aquarium life.

Dottybacks/pseudochromis, Cardinals - several varieties, and in the wild-collected larval varieties, some tangs can be found occasionally.

Jenn

Back