Carbon and Phosphate? Connection?

nickskains

Market
Reaction score
About 3 months ago I started running carbon on my system. I am using SeaChem Matrix Carbon. Prior to doing this I never had any kind of algae or cyano outbreak. Lately I have been noticing small patches of cyano on my rocks. It doesn't grow on the sand just in low flow areas of my rock work. Prior to running carbon my phosphates tested Oppm with Elos test kit. Now they are testing around .25 - .50ppm. I do 15g water changes every week and dose Elos ALK, CA and MG when needed. My photo period is 2-12pm for actinics and 4-10pm for daylights. My thoughts are this, I read around and it seems that phosphates can be found in carbon, so, is this the source of my phosphate issues? I have a typhoon 3 rodi that is about 4 months old. I do not have a tds meter so unsure what the tds is measuring. Let me know what you all think. Guess if worse comes to worse I will just stop running carbon and see if it goes away and the phosphates go down. All other parameters are 0ppm, NH3, NO3 and NO4.
CA-440ppm
dKH-6-7ppm
MG-1300
78-79 degrees
SG 1.026

Oh and I only feed about 1/4 of a sheet of nori for my 2 tangs and brine and mysis every other day. But the cyano still comes back once syphoned off with airline hose.

Back