Carbon in a Sock -- in the sump?

geno

Market
Reaction score
All the discuss in a related thread about the use of carbon caused me to dig a bit deeper into some of the links provided. It's absolutely fascinating and I want to try it in my tank.

Question: How do I do it?

Do I simply put a measured amount of carbon in a carbon sock and lay it in the return portion of the sump? I don't really have room to add a canister so the sump is about my only option. My refugium is in the middle of the sump so I could put the carbon in the overflow portion of the sump or in the return portion.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question -- I just don't have any experience in this area yet.

Thanks!

The tank is a 125g with a 30g sump/refugium (if that helps).

I just have mine in a chamber that has water run through it, in the return sounds like as good of a place as any to me. Just make sure you remember to change it often!

I have mine in front of my return pump to hopefully help with my micro bubbles but I normally have it in the chamber that the water flows from the sump. I will change mine monthly as well.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I can just get a carbon bag and stick it in the sump.

I read one recommendation of 3 tablespoons per 50 gallons. Does that sound about right?

Hey Gene its Kyle from Marine Fish, carbons a good idea if you're having some water clarity issues. But remember that it will also pull out a lot of your trace minerals that you're adding as well. It will happen slowly but it will. Just a little FYI

Back