Carbon

triga22

Market
Reaction score
What type do you use? I use Marineland Black Diamond. Please specify how much you use and how often. Im looking for a good carbon choice that also is good on money.

black diamond 8-10 rinsed tablespoons in reactor every 2 weeks.

Seachem. Black Diamond is the same grade as Seachem, both of them being bituminous coal, which is a high grade carbon. Seachem, however, has better hydrodynamics, being spherical. You get better usage of the surface area because it does not clump.

I bought the stuff from twopartsolution.com

I change it out every month (or so).

I read that 2littlefishies carbon is really good. When I ran carbon I used Marineland.

When i had a heater break, i was gald to have been using a good grade carbon at the time. did not lose any corals.

Patrick214;159526 wrote: I use purigen instead.

I have a HOB emperor, that has the default emperor cartrage carbon, than I have the extra thing full of ammochips and seachem matrix. than I have a bag of purigen in the middle. I do not have a sump yet, so that emperor has it's work cut out for it! :yay:

I was thinking of using carbon -- but based on the research I did -- I found a number of negatives regarding the removal of needed trace elements.

Have you found that to be an issue? I guess not for those of you who use it.

I was thinking it might keep the water crystal clear, etc.

-gene

I run carbon only when I think the water isn't clear enough. I put about three cups of it in a carbon sock and leave it right in front of the return from the overflows. It's usually in for about a week or until I see improvement in the water clearity.

I dont run Carbon. I had loads of issues re. coral burning while runing it.

Ozone is my new best friend.

I just filled my phosphate reactor up with black diamond carbon....I hate that crap..makes a huge mess trying to rinse it out...

Back