care for open brain

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
hi

i did alot of research on an open brain. most places did not give me too much info. so here are my questions

what do i feed it?
When do i feed it?
Can i frag it? someone at petland told me that you can but i would like to know from someone who is in the hobby.

that is it thank you.

ok. becasue i heard someone feeding their brain the molts but i will try to feed it some mysis every month or other month. thank dawgdude.

I would feed my brains every few days some mysis or small peices of krill. To each their own.

i prefer to take the extra care because it keeps me aware of the tank and keeps the coral in tip top shape.

Im glad to see that your taking intrest in how to take care of the coral before getting it. I have to admit before opening this thread i told myself he got a braine and doesnt even know how to care for it. Sorry for being wrong and that being said i would also like to say im proud of you young grass hopper and keep up the good work and remember research and more research

i always research before getting something. one time my dad got me a hammer, i was not with him, and i did not even have a light set up at the time but it lived.

You don't have to keep a specific schedule for feeding one. Feed one day, skip one, feed, skip 3, feed, skip 1, feed, skip 22... you know, whatever wrks best for you and your coral. Always stick to small bits of food.

What I found actually worked really well is Formula One frozen cubes. The brains I feed went pretty nuts over the stuff, just thaw it out in cool water, as warm tank water makes it too soft. A good source is if you have some top off water you can pour into a small cup.

i already made some food for the brain that has garlic, shrimp, oysters, and clams all very fine i tossed them in the blender accidentaly when makeing food for the fish and this is what came out.

question: if you can not frag an open brain how do they reproduce in the wild?

Fragging involves cutting a coral into sections. An open brain is already one whole section. They reproduce by sending their respective reproductive matter into the water column to start new colonies. I believe they also produce daughter colonies.

Blind i shouldnt be telling you this but yes it can be done but i would not risk it its just one of those corals you dont frag just like anemones if they dont do it on there own dont risk it

i will def not be fraging myself since i am not the best frager i can only frag softies and some lps. i was just wondering if i was to expect a baby brain in the tank.

Back