Carpet Nem is splitting!

william1

Market
Reaction score
Yup thats right boys and girls my 12 carpet nem is splitting as we speak. Check him out when I got up along with everthing in the tank. Things were fine tested some parameters and took a 3 hr nap. When I got up went to feed the fish and Im like wow wheres the nem. He retracted himself under the rock as he tore himself. here are a few pics not anything great but, look at the empty hole where he was fully open this morning. Funny though how he pulled himself under the LR threw the sand.
cimg1986pv2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1990gh4.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1988bq1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Make sure you take care of it and do some water changes....carpet nems are very different than normal bubble tips. just because its splitting doesnt mean its a good thing. They can split because they are stressed or conditions arent favorable. Lets hope its a good split tho :)

All parameters are on point. He has been in the same spot since I put him in 3 months ago. Eats on a regular and never seems to have any problem. Is the water change becuase of the nem and what he will release into the water during the split. Just wierd that he pulled himself under the LR threw the sand.

Thats how they attach them selfs, on the underside of a rock....generally under the sand. Its odd, I've never seen a carpet split....I actually thought they didn't split to reproduce. At any rate, keep an eye on it and your tank parms.

I will do that. The only time a seen a carpet split to was on youtube and actually the guy cut it in half very horrible. Not for the faint at heart.

And from what I hear not suggested at all. Anyways, hope it all goes well. Let us know what happens. I do know that when I had mine, he would retract into the sand to expel waste and be back to normal the next day. Who knows tho.

This is very non normal for him he expells waste a lot different. Plus I can see were he has ripped. Thanks for the info I will keep everyone posted. + pics

I agree with Lee that carpets aren't known to split... Very interesting though as that is what it appears to be doing. Plz keep us updated.

Not selling I promised thhe original owner the second one from the day I recived it.

As of right now the nem has come back out of hiding. He has not split but has ripped himself as if he were going to. Seems to be doing fine as of right know. I did a 20% water change and just watching. I will update everyone as time goes on.

Good luck.. Im tagging along so I can see the outcome as well.. Hopefully( I'm sure it will be) favorable

It is very possible he was doing his routine water expel and got caught on a rock and tore. Keep in mind, these are the stickiest of all anemones.

He came back out just a small rip. About 3 days later he decided to move woke up in the A.M. and found him at the top of the tank stuck on half my green and grey tipped acro and turqose stag. Acro polyps are extending for the most part. I moved him back into his spot and he grabbed right on. More updates later.

Back