Cast or Extruded Acrylic Rod?

cdub

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put together my new rocks for my aquascape. I was looking on US plastic and they have cast and extruded acrylic rod. The cast is of course more expensive, but is it that much better? Will the extruded work?

Also what size does everyone use and do you use the same size drill bit or do you go up a size?

For a rod - go cheap, nobody will see the slight optical imperfections anyway...

I use 1/2" fiberglass rod bought from mcmaster carr and a regular drill bit for concrete but not a hammer drill bit as it will crack the rock more. I just use the same size as the rod I am using and seems to still give some wiggle room.

Plastic coat hangers from Wally world and bit to fit... very cheap, will never be seen

I went ahead and ordered 1/2". Now the question is if I use a 1/2" bit do I need to use an adhesive also?

Great minds think alike...worked grrrrreat! I wasn't going to say it first in fear of being ridiculed though. :D
Rockdog;648525 wrote: Plastic coat hangers from Wally world and bit to fit... very cheap, will never be seen

I use marine epoxy that I buy at Home Depot. It is the green colored stick. They have severl types hanging on the rack, so make sure it is the marine. I have not had any problems with it affecting corals or fish. Have even used it in tanks with juvinile fish. It costs less than $4 per 4oz stick, which is about half what you pay for the Instant Ocean stick. :up:

Back