Catalina Goby?

jaydm93teg

Market
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about the catalina goby? i saw these at the atl. aquarium and loved them......it says they tend to like colder water than the normal reef aquarium but also say that they will adapt to the normal temp very easily. could i keep one in my reef tank?

also if i could keep one, do you think 2 would be ok?

i would really like to add 2 of these guys to my tank. any thoughts? or experience with these guys adapting to the warmer temps.

heres a link to the LA write up on them.

prod_display.cfm

They do not adjust to warmer temperatures(they may for a short period of time). I would not advise one for a reef tank.

These are one of my favorite fish. I have to disagree though with the comment that they adjust to warmer temps. I used to know someone who raised these years ago and they definitely had poor survival at normal reef temps. Anything over 78 and these guys have a hard time. So, if you can keep your tank under 78 (even in the summer) then I would say go for it. If not, I would pass. Better yet, it would give you a good reason to start a cold water tank. It is one of my dreams to have a cold water tank and these guys would be right at home!!!

o ok sorry i mis-understood the adjusting thing....i was thinking i read a few diff. write ups and said they did adjust.......haha great thats the last thing i need is a reason for another tank but i love the way these guys look

I know, they are awesome and they breed well in tanks. Have you ever seen a cold water tank?!? I might get in trouble for showing you this and I do not take any blame from your pocket book but
a>

thats looks so incredible i wouldnt mind turning my empty 29 gallon into a coldwater with a bunch of catalinas in there haha.......seriously though that would not be good choice for me right now....add that one to the "to do" list

dawg when u start this kinda keep me in mind i would love to subscribe to the thread if you made a build thread just to keep up with ya. This is something i would love to do oen day not so much the seahorse but deff. a coldwater with the catalinas......the tank at the aquarium had a whole bunch of them in there and they looked awsome

Really for a cold water system you should have something built out of 1" thick acrylic. Any normal tank is going to loose too much cold and: a) kill you in electricity keeping it cold and b) get too much condensation in the summer time with the humidity down here. This about what happens to your coke can on a hot summers day.

dawgdude;188747 wrote: The tanks will be each insulated with foam on all sides except the front and ill use the lowest wattage possible. And by cool water I mean around 66 so I shouldnt have to deal with much humidity.

Bet ya $1 that when your AC goes out again, you will have a pool of water in your living room from condensation. ;) Keeping the tank at below 70 when the air temp is about 80 with 75% humidity might not make the tank sweat but I am sure you are going to get some fogging on that glass.

what about putting the tank in a room with a smaller ac to keep the rooms temp at like 70

dawgdude;188813 wrote: It would be cheaper to run a chiller than an AC unit. Not to mention the fact that my gf would kill me for keeping any room that cold. She already has a problem with the apt at 74.

i was just saying that because it would help with the fogging and condensation plus i like my room at that temp.

haha wow man the condensation thing i didnt even think about.......ok so this one is gonna be put on the shelf for a while

Back