Caution Petland Kennesaw!

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
Went there today just to buy some frozen brine and mysis "closest to my house". Thought I would browse and was utterly shocked. The condition of their saltwater dept was unacceptable to say the least. The display tank up by the register is infested with cyno, and aptasia. Each tank was infested with every kind of algae you can think of. It was completley shocking to see the neglect for their fish and corals. There was a carpet anemone that was huge but dead and they were still selling it? Another anemone's mouth was gaped open and all the tentacles were sucked in and the foot was brown. The corals they did have only about 5 were all on their death bed. About half of the fish had ick and god knows what else. All the fish were overpriced. If you wanna see a shocking site just go there and you will see what i mean. I told the lady at the register about the situation and she didnt seem to care to much. If animal control had any jurisdiction over saltwater, I would definetly call them. And I am sure the place would be closed off. Sad Sad site to see :sad:

It's very interesting how people view the situation.

If it were sick or dying dogs/cats they were trying to sell then everyone would be up in arms, but because its fish then its ok.

I have been there before and they are very overpriced. For the extra money you think you would get quality livestock but that is the antithesis of this store's selection. The drygoods are easily twice as expensive as the average LFS and frankly I think you'd be hardpressed to find a LFS with lower quality inventory. I once had one of their salesman tell me a Rock Beauty angelfish was a Dwarf Angelfish that was easy to care for lmao.

I went to Petco in Buford by the Mall Of Georgia today to get some food and was equally disgusted, the fish where all sickly looking and most had what looked like ick. They had a Purple tang ($99.00!!) that looked like it was turning white and a Foxface that I don't think will make it another week. I would never buy from a "chain store" and it makes me sick that a company with that much money would not take better care of its product!! Needless to say I walked out without even buying the food I refuse to give them my money.

We bought a beautiful niger triggerfish today in tip-top condition and he's doing well. Also some clean-up crew items (brittle star, emerald crab, zebra hermits, various snails and a sea cucumber) and all are doing great.

And I really wanted an urchin, but I wanted a pincusion. The one in the tank was a pencil urchin and, not knowing the difference, I would have bought it if the LFS owner had sold it to me. He could have made a buck but would rather treat his customers well.

Great to have a positive livestock-buying experience.

Thanks, Stevhan.

:)

Thats odd,a couple weeks ago I was in there and the place was looking better than it has in the past year.

chrisjet;95376 wrote: really, go in there tomorrow just to get a nice little shocker!

I wouldnt doubt it,We normally stop in there every few weeks just to check out the dogs and other critters.The past couple years the fish dept. has been like that.Sometimes it looks ok and they will have plenty of healthy fish,then other days I feel bad for the livestock in their system.

Back