Ceramic Reef Plugs vs Cured Reef Plugs?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
For a pack of 25 plugs, the cured aragonite sand ones run $5, and the ceramic ones run $6.

So is there a reason to choose one or the other? I'm about to order a frag rack and the plugs ship for no additional cost, so I'd like to order them all at once.

The ceramic need no curing and will not affect ph. Aragonite plugs generally raise ph. Since these are pre-cured, they shouldn't raise ph.

Make sure the disc surface is rough, otherwise it's tough to mount the frags.

The Aragonite ones dissolve or break apart over time. If you plan on re-using them, I would go ceramic.

I also found some that are plastic, $7 for 25 (+ s/h). Look pretty nice, and they "lock" into eggcrate so they won't wobble or blow off. Any thought on those?

I was reading on some site that this one person took army men and cut them off at the waist. It gave you a nice flat surface to mount to and the other half could be stuck in eggcrate, frag racks, or whatever.

Dunno how it works myself but seemed like a cheap, cool idea.

Hmm, never thought of that. I assume he was using the army men that stood up and had a round base, then just stuck the legs in crevices. I used to have buckets of those, but they're back home. Plus, I don't have that many frags that I'll need to resort to that.

Yeah, the ones with the flat base- Creative idea, but unless you need 1000 of them it would probably be best to just buy some other kind.

Ha now that you mention it they did. Rit I believe. Doubt say he would wanna mess around with army men on his expensive frags though lol.

Back