Cerith Snails Laying Eggs!

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
It appears two of my cerith snails have decided to leave eggs on the glass of my 120G. Does anyone know what happens to them? Will they actually hatch out? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

What doesn't get eaten will hatch. In my 29g, I had over 600 baby snails!

Wow! That's a lot of snails. Were they ceriths? The only fish in the tank right now are 2 black & white ocellaris, 1 spotted mandarin, and a bicolor blenny so not a lot of predators to eat them.

Start a CUC Store, Bud!!

By the way... I'm soooooooo loving that scroll coral!!

Linda Lee;212821 wrote: Start a CUC Store, Bud!!

By the way... I'm soooooooo loving that scroll coral!!

Ha! Who knows if any will even survive.

Glad to hear about the scroll coral, my wife is ticked at me for not putting it in the 120G. Post a picture when you get a chance.

Budsreef;212824 wrote: Glad to hear about the scroll coral, my wife is ticked at me for not putting it in the 120G. Post a picture when you get a chance.

Will do.

And if you need it back, I understand. Sure don't want any marital strife over a coral.

Or... there's one in bobz's tank you could probably filtch when he's not lookin'

;-)

Linda Lee;212826 wrote: Will do.

And if you need it back, I understand. Sure don't want any marital strife over a coral.

Or... there's one in bobz's tank you could probably filtch when he's not lookin'

;-)

I still have a couple of small pieces of it. The one you got was the best one.

I'll trade or buy some home grown ceriths :). They always lay eggs in my tank but I understand their hatchlings are planktonic.

I have at least three different spots of eggs so I'll let you know if anything becomes of them other than fishfood.

Budsreef;213596 wrote: It appears the clowns like snail eggs. Most of them have been eaten.

I wonder if you could fashion something to attach to the glass with suction cups (a basket? acrylic box? netting?) to give the eggs a chance to hatch.

Something like that might work, but I wouldn't want anything on the front of the glass. I still have one string of them the clowns haven't found yet so who knows. Otherwise, the eggs are going to a good use.

I spoke too soon. Evidently they didn't want to wait for the normal afternoon feeding and finished off the rest of the eggs.

Budsreef;213647 wrote: I spoke too soon. Evidently they didn't want to wait for the normal afternoon feeding and finished off the rest of the eggs.

You have an efficient *eco system*

congrats

:)

The egg cases hatch rather quickly. I had probably 35 egg cases when they got started laying and they laid egg cases for several days. I don't have any clowns in that tank so they got to hatch. You could see the hatchlings with my magnifying glass. Kept conveniently next to the tank at all times! I would guess they'll do it again, but I have no idea how often. This was my first batch.

Sheryle

Back