CF to MH acclimation

olds350racer

Market
Reaction score
OK... so finally dusted off some of my new equipment and it's time to put it to use. I am going from 260w CF (1- 10k, 2-actinic, 1- burnt out) to 500w MH (1-250w10k, 1-250w20k). The 260 CF was ~3" above the surface with a 12 "lights on" time. With the swap to 500w MH @ 12" above the surface, what would you recommend as an initial "lights on" time?
BTW- This is a 55g with primarily LPS with a couple softies and a couple SPS.
Thanks in advance...

I have always used the screen method. Cover the tank in egg crate and get a roll of window screen (black) at HD and put 2-3 layers of screen on the eggcrate. Remove 1 screen layer per week. I run my halides 7-8 hours per day.

thats a good method that darren said. You could also just do 3-4 hours the first week. 4-5 the next week, 5-7 the following and then up to 8 or 10 the next. Both ways work just fine :)

Another tried and true method is to raise the lights over the tank and slowly lower them over a week or two. Sometimes this is easy other times it is a pain in the rear.

I try to pick one occasionally to freak people out. I though about using Brandon in a bunny outfit from my halloween party, but that might cause issues with people that have pace makers or other heart conditions.

Cameron;108050 wrote: Another tried and true method is to raise the lights over the tank and slowly lower them over a week or two. Sometimes this is easy other times it is a pain in the rear.

How high would I need to start?

I did the same a couple years ago. I just raised the light about 12-16" off the water and ran a normal 10 hour light period. Each week I lowered the light an inch or so. I also didn't place any corals directly under the new lights.

One thing to keep in mind that your par is going to sky rocket, hince the advice above.

I would choose the screen method. But if you're going to just raise the lights, I would take schwaggs advice, raise them 12-16" but for the first day or so reduce the light period just to prevent shock. Just as extra precaution.

Back