Chaeto reactor or refugium?

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
Planning a rebuild of my pest system and have always used refugiums. Has anyone used a chaeto reactor and what are your thoughts and feedback?

I had a sump/refugium that served as both. I had a couple of inches of rock rubble in the bottom, with chaeto and dragons tongue floating above that. Smaller reef system, but it worked great! I only used a daylight spring type fluorescent bulb in a reflector mount & it grew macro pretty fast!

Fwiw,
I never ran ICP tests, just did the usual 40% water changes & dosed for cal+alk. Corals & fish were all happy but I didn’t grow sticks then either. Softies & LPS only. I did have a PFO programmable LED array for lighting above the tank though.

If you’ve got room and can manage good flow for chaeto to spin, go with refugium. Much easier to maintain, down side of the chaeto reactor is how often you have to clean it. I’m currently running both, but it’s definitely another task on the weekly to-do list.

I have it in my fuge. Reactor has always intrigued me but again why add equipment If you don't have to. Plus the maintenance of cleaning it. I've never got mine to rotate but it fills the section I have dedicated to it. Maybe I should harvest more frequently??

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Back