Chalice or incorrectly identified

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
I got a teeny frag maybe 3/4" of this back in December and thought it was a chalice. I broke it mounting it to a piece of LR and the tiny broken piece is the 1"+ one in the top left. My 3/4" piece is now about 3" long and maybe 1.5" wide. I never though a chalice could grow that quickly no matter what the conditions so I'm starting to wonder if it may be some form of cup/scroll coral. Anyone ID?

1_Chalice.jpg
alt="" />

Looks like a chalice. I got a small 5 or 6 eye frag of my chalice if you wanna trade your small one for mine.

Jon, google "Tyree Blue chalice" and you will see that you got one helova deal on that little piece you got from me :yes:

Here is a pick of it just before i started fragging it. you will need very strong lighting to get it back to the blue color it was in my tank.

Image0622.jpg
alt="" />

Dude.....I never even realized what it was, nor how fast it could get up and grow. I wish I had bought one of the bigger chunks now. I assure you I wasn't discrediting you on what it was....I just couldn't believe a chalice grew this fast and thought I might have misunderstood in my reef virginity:D I think you had already fragged it to pieces by the time we met too and it was in your holding tank.

It is alot bluer in person than in the pics too. I've been keeping it low-mid depth...time to move it on up.

Specifically, looks like Echinopora sp. I have one. Grew it from a thumbnail-sized frag that somebody gave me. Grew it in a 12-g Aquapod under PC lighting and all. When it got too big I moved it to my prop system where it's about luncheon-plate size now. Took about 2 1/2 years to get to that size AND we do take frags off it quite regularly. I never take too much at once - I don't want to mutilate it but it does heal fast, and it grows pretty quickly.

Nice piece :)

Jenn

And thanks again Jeff for "one helova deal":shades:

150w, 14k MH and 32w(or 36w one) dual Actinics on a 28 cube

I did not need a ton of light to grow. Just needs the light for color.

ares;345741 wrote: they dont like a whole lot of light, they are LPS, id say low-medium light needs

Most chalices actually look and grow better under low light, at least of the 6I have.

I have a piece of Jeff's chalice and it really is an odd ball as it seems to be well under both strong and low light. But alas, i cannot get it to be blue like when I bought it, but it is a really nice purple/lavendar color. I am still moving it around...

LOL.....I thought that said "61 chalices" on first glance. That would just be showin off.

I got a chalice from Jeff too, mine is much more purple.

Jeff,
by any chance remember that ones name?

I love Chalice but I've never had one... I have heard that they don't like a lot of flow and all of my tanks have a ton of flow (SPS set-ups)... Is it possible to keep Chalices in an SPS tank as I have described... i.e. high light, and high flow?

Yeah, I blast mine with light, I like the color better so I keep it up real high and it loves it.

Matt

Back