Chalice Placement Help.

FinParadiseAquaticsLLC

Market
Reaction score
Recently just bought a chalice from a LFS, been reading about for a few months and have gotten my tank ready for one. I know they don't like intense lighting or flow and usually the middle of rock work is what I have read many time for them to be. I have a 20g AIO running with low flow and moderate lighting. Do I need to still place it in the rock work instead of the sand bottom near rock? If I need to put it in the rock work, do I need to lower the intensity of the light?

I remember when chalice was a new and hot to the hobby. A buddy of mine asked me to put a eBay bids on “CB chalice” that are like $2000 for some. They were size of finger nails. Put on my CC and he would pay me in cash back because his wife would kill him if she find out the prices of these things.

He is out of the hobby. But he collected tons more chalices and he had them on the sand bed in about 25-30” from the light. (Radion and T5’s).

Edit: that’s like 10yrs ago. And he’s tank was like 200Gal and lots of live rocks.

I remember when chalice was a new and hot to the hobby. A buddy of mine asked me to put a eBay bids on “CB chalice” that are like $2000 for some. They were size of finger nails. Put on my CC and he would pay me in cash back because his wife would kill him if she find out the prices of these things.

He is out of the hobby. But he collected tons more chalices and he had them on the sand bed in about 25-30” from the light. (Radion and T5’s).

Edit: that’s like 10yrs ago. And he’s tank was like 200Gal and lots of live rocks.
That's a crazy price! I paid only $30 for mine and it bigger than a half dollar! Attached below is the "chalice". Not sure of name.

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_1431144980854837.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_1431144980854837.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 9
That's a crazy price! I paid only $30 for mine and it bigger than a half dollar! Attached below is the "chalice". Not sure of name.

That's very nice, looks like it belongs there.

On a side note, as you add corals...any time a coral is added to a new tank, it should be started on the bottom so they can be acclimate to the new tanks lighting. I grow a lot of acres that get serious light, 400 to 650 PAR. Whenever I sell a frag, I always recomend they be light acclimated. Meaning the frags should be started on the bottom of the new tank regardless of how much or how little light the new tank has.

That's very nice, looks like it belongs there.

On a side note, as you add corals...any time a coral is added to a new tank, it should be started on the bottom so they can be acclimate to the new tanks lighting. I grow a lot of acres that get serious light, 400 to 650 PAR. Whenever I sell a frag, I always recomend they be light acclimated. Meaning the frags should be started on the bottom of the new tank regardless of how much or how little light the new tank has.
I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thank you!

Back