Change from PC to T5

captsammy

Reaction score
I have a Coralife 150 light unit. It is 48" long and has two 150w MH, two 36" PC actinics, and four lunar LEDs.

The area that the PC's are in is actually 48" long. Anyone know if it would be possible to remove each of the PC stand offs, and install a set of T5 standoffs and wire in to the exixting ballast? Better to remove the PC ballast and replace with an icecap 660? Stoopid idea, and I should just stick with PC's?

It's time to replace the bulbs so I figure it would also be a good time to make the change. I am thinkin of replacing the MH with Pheonix 14k, and installing a 10 and an actinic T5.

It can be done but you'll, more than likely, have to replace the ballast(s). The 660 would probably be too big to fit in the fixture but you could rewire the fixture to run the ballast externally. Depending on how the fixture is currently wired, look into either two Workhorse 3 ballast or one Workhorse 5. They will be much easier to fit into the fixture.

I was thinking of mounting the ballast external, removing some heat from above the tank and making the unit lighter.

Would a pair of over driven 48" T5 be worth the upgrade from the 36" PC's? Will the "Work Horses" overdrive the T5's

It will be worth the upgrade if you use good bulbs. The Workhorse ballasts will not overdrive the T5's.

Back